Took the Dart to show and tell

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took the Dart to show and tell

I had the opportunity to take the Dart to A Vo-Tech school yesterday and talk to a couple classes of students about the car, the car hobby, and their interests. I was pleased that a large portion of the class was interested in the car and the car hobby. A few in the class were obviously there because they thought it would be an opportunity to cruise through a class with little effort. Sadly for them the teacher in the class, Mr. Frank Adkins is making sure that all the students take a good understanding of the class with them when they leave. Several of these students will go on the be ASE certified tech's while others will use what they learned to enjoy the car hobby while doing something different for a career. All will be able to understand what is going on with the vehicle they are driving.

I am posting this here because the Dart was involved and I like to think this type of participation in the Muscle car hobby will help perpetuate the interest we all share in our cars.

Are you doing anything to bring future generations into the hobby? Is there a neighborhood kid that might like to ride along with you to a car show? Are there any young guys working on a car/project in your area that you could mentor? Even loaning some tools to a kid to help for the day will make a huge difference. Take a few minutes to look around for family or friends that you could include while working on the car or going to an event in your area.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I wish a guy like you lived around here Crazy. All the car people around here just like to say "I'm better than you, one day you'll be as good as me". That hurts. I wish someone came into my vo-tech and talked to us about passion of the trade... but alas
Old 10-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats great crazy, The local kids around here show up all the time wanting to loook at my caars, or whatever i have sitting here. alot of them are tuner guys, but I still take the time to talk to them. most of them dont even know what the cars are. I feel my age sometimes. But then i remember, i started out that way too in the early 80`s. time has a way of repeating itself you know. I stop when I can when i see a young gun sitting on the side of the road in a hot rod w/ the hood up, or in a parking lot. I think its important that we all help out the future gen. of hot rodders.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
That's awesome Steve! A lot of the time kids in the schools just need someone like you to come in and talk to them and do a little show and tell to help them really figure out what they want to do, whether its automotive or something else.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
where are the tech schools?
i'd love to do this
Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Mopar Lover

From my TV show and visibility in the community, and the teacher knowing my car, I was invited to attend. Look in the school section of your phone book and make some calls, they may be glad to hear from you.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't underestimate the younger guys fresh out of high school.

I will be going to UTI next spring to eventually go into the BMW manufacture specific course. As of right now, I'm studying to become an ASE certified tech. I'll be taking the A-1 and A-8 tests in a few weeks.

I hate when people think cars are such an easy subject... Theres aot to learn.