Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Want to start my first project.... (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/want-start-my-first-project-2161/)

PuppetMaster 01-23-2009 02:30 AM

Want to start my first project....

But i don't know where to start. I found one place online that has some old project cars, but all of them seem to be in pretty bad shape. I am looking for a 60's Buick Skylark, or a 70's Camaro. If anyone has any ideas about where to look to find a good, CHEAP, starting point for my first project car, please let me know!

Polaradude 01-23-2009 02:33 AM

Sorry, I don't know what those cars are...Skylark ? Camaro ?

78D200 01-23-2009 03:33 AM

Welcome to the forum!

You might have better luck asking at a chevy forum for those cars.

Commando 01-23-2009 04:53 AM

Welcome, a good place to start would be with a Mopar.

PuppetMaster 01-23-2009 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Commando (Post 11024)
Welcome, a good place to start would be with a Mopar.

Any suggestions? Like i said i am about as new to mopar as anyone, and i guess i am not too sure of the exact definition of one...

78D200 01-23-2009 10:38 AM

Mopar covers dodge, plymouth, chrysler, jeep, and some AMC (the earlier jeeps). Do a search for pics online of mopars, I'm sure that you'll find something you like.

The moderators on in the process of putting a section together so that everyone can start their own thread about each of their vehicles (one thread per vehicle within reason of course). We are just trying to work out some of the details. I'm sure that will help you decide on what you would like to have as a project as well.

PuppetMaster 01-23-2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 78D200 (Post 11029)
Mopar covers dodge, plymouth, chrysler, jeep, and some AMC (the earlier jeeps). Do a search for pics online of mopars, I'm sure that you'll find something you like.

The moderators on in the process of putting a section together so that everyone can start their own thread about each of their vehicles (one thread per vehicle within reason of course). We are just trying to work out some of the details. I'm sure that will help you decide on what you would like to have as a project as well.

Well if plymouth is included then, i definitely want a mopar! I have always loved Roadrunners(my dad has always had one, until recently), and i found a decent deal on one, here:

http://www.daves-classic-cars.com/Ca...ad_runner.html

68 roadrunner, no engine or trans...Although, i am not sure how good of a deal it is...It just seems that for 5,000 i can get something a little more complete...not necessarily motor and trans wise, but interior. There is basically no interior for that car...

That is my big concern, finding parts for these cars...i can never find a good site online that has specific parts, and there aren't too many specialty shops here in ND..haha

78D200 01-23-2009 11:04 AM

If there is absolutely no body work (a.k.a. rot or rust) and all teh glass was in there, then that would be a good deal. There are other deals out there to be had, you may just have to drive for them. Take a look on craigslist, I have found some pretty good deals on tehre from people that just want the vehicle gone.

PuppetMaster 01-23-2009 11:16 AM

i think i found a good deal here, on craigslist like you said:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1004414540.html

it has a 318 and runs (apparently)...is a 318 a powerful engine or not? i know it is more of the base model of engine, but could i still get some good power out of it. I will be doing this rebuild on a budget for a while until the economy picks up and i dont' want to have to get a new engine. That seems like a hell of a deal for $800

66sportfury 01-23-2009 11:30 AM

puppet master. that 318 would most likely be a 318 wide block. unless u got cash stay away from it. im not saying they are a bad motor. they are a strong runner. im just saying its a different from 67 and up 318,s and parts are VERY hard to come by for those. and fury is a c body isnt a good car to fix up. the only reason i say this is because nobody supports "C" bodies as far as parts go. i have 2 1966 sportfurys and i have a hell of a time finding parts for them, i suggest finding something between the years of 67-74 in A B or E body. parts are everywhere for those.
i beleive others on this forum will agree with me........i think

PuppetMaster 01-23-2009 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 66sportfury (Post 11033)
puppet master. that 318 would most likely be a 318 wide block. unless u got cash stay away from it. im not saying they are a bad motor. they are a strong runner. im just saying its a different from 67 and up 318,s and parts are VERY hard to come by for those. and fury is a c body isnt a good car to fix up. the only reason i say this is because nobody supports "C" bodies as far as parts go. i have 2 1966 sportfurys and i have a hell of a time finding parts for them, i suggest finding something between the years of 67-74 in A B or E body. parts are everywhere for those.
i beleive others on this forum will agree with me........i think

Alright, thanks a lot for the advice...i appreciate it...what do you recommend i get? Just looking for some ideas i guess

66sportfury 01-23-2009 12:11 PM

get on cardomain.com and check out some mopars or ebay ,challengers, chargers, darts, demons, dusters, barracuda, roadrunner, superbee, (my favorite B body is the gtx) gtx, belvadere, just to name a few. A and E bodies are the lightest just do some looking around.

78D200 01-23-2009 12:50 PM

That car there would be great for a sleeper project. I agree with 66 about the pre 67 318s and the fury.

I'm sure that if you love camaros, that you would love a cuda then. I would also save up and find something that is easy to fix for your first project. Don't jump right into a car that need a lot of mechanical work and body work unless you have the time and knowledge on how to do it. Find something that you know you can handle.

PuppetMaster 01-23-2009 02:07 PM

Great advice guys thanks a lot. And ya, i will probably save a bit and find something that requires not too much work, as i am wanting to get into projects to learn more about cars. I am not a huge car guy, but have had a love for them my whole life. Thanks again fellas.

66sportfury 01-23-2009 02:56 PM

right here is a good place for info. duster is a good cheap car with lots of potential.

PuppetMaster 01-23-2009 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 66sportfury (Post 11039)
right here is a good place for info. duster is a good cheap car with lots of potential.

i can never seem to find a good duster for some reason...at least one that isn't already restored

Crazy4Carz.Com 01-23-2009 05:18 PM

OK where do I start.

First find a car you honestly love. This is extremely important, if there is any doubt that you like it (love it) you will never finish the project and it will bitter you for future projects.

Second find a car that runs/drives. This way you can drive and enjoy the car as you work on it. This is very important especially for your first project. You will less likely become overwhelmed and abandon the project. Also if it does run/drive and you become disappointed with the progress or the final/partial outcome you will still have a sell-able car that you will be more likely to sell and recoup some of your investment.

Thirdly, buy something you can afford and something that will allow you to have discretionary spending for modifications and improvements to the car.

Fourth, while everyone on these forums will agree that a MOPAR is the best choice in a classic or muscle car, choose something for your first car that will be more marketable. (in the event you decide this is not for you)

Lastly, forget ever getting the money you put into a car back out. All the new parts you install and all the money you invest is now used parts and attached to a car that somebody before you didn't want to fix and that you now are selling because for what ever reason you don't want it either. It will bring the most money finished, so don't be afraid to keep putting money in so that you are able to get any of your money back.

Good luck with whatever car you choose. And I can't help it, I am a MOPAR fan but I like all kinds of cars as well. another great site is (my screen name) WWW.Crazy4Carz.Com there are other people there that have less taste in cars and like stuff like chebbies, and Furds. Let me know if there is any way we can help.

67 GTX 01-23-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 78D200 (Post 11029)
Mopar covers dodge, plymouth, chrysler, jeep, and some AMC (the earlier jeeps).

don't forget Desoto:D

deadkelly 01-23-2009 09:49 PM

good points crazy 4 cars .
i am thinking your a young guy ? with not heaps of cash ?
remember a lighter car will get off the line quicker than a heavier one .
it costs a lot of $ to make a bigger car go fast , handle & stop . that is why i like A bodys . you could all ways find one with a slant 6 & drive it around , then find a rusted or smashed one with V8 , gearbox & diff exhaust ect , as money comes in spend it on rebuilding your bits & pieces . ect ect oh well happy hunting .

PuppetMaster 01-23-2009 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy4Carz.Com (Post 11043)
OK where do I start.

First find a car you honestly love. This is extremely important, if there is any doubt that you like it (love it) you will never finish the project and it will bitter you for future projects.

Second find a car that runs/drives. This way you can drive and enjoy the car as you work on it. This is very important especially for your first project. You will less likely become overwhelmed and abandon the project. Also if it does run/drive and you become disappointed with the progress or the final/partial outcome you will still have a sell-able car that you will be more likely to sell and recoup some of your investment.

Thirdly, buy something you can afford and something that will allow you to have discretionary spending for modifications and improvements to the car.

Fourth, while everyone on these forums will agree that a MOPAR is the best choice in a classic or muscle car, choose something for your first car that will be more marketable. (in the event you decide this is not for you)

Lastly, forget ever getting the money you put into a car back out. All the new parts you install and all the money you invest is now used parts and attached to a car that somebody before you didn't want to fix and that you now are selling because for what ever reason you don't want it either. It will bring the most money finished, so don't be afraid to keep putting money in so that you are able to get any of your money back.

Good luck with whatever car you choose. And I can't help it, I am a MOPAR fan but I like all kinds of cars as well. another great site is (my screen name) WWW.Crazy4Carz.Com there are other people there that have less taste in cars and like stuff like chebbies, and Furds. Let me know if there is any way we can help.

Thanks man, lots of good points there...

PuppetMaster 01-24-2009 06:44 AM

I think i found a pretty quality vehicle, one my uncle Roger used to have when i was a kid too:

http://www.daves-classic-cars.com/Ca...hevy_nova.html

It is a 75 Nova...(i know, i know, it's not MOPAR). 400ci engine (didn't know that they used those on novas?)..Almost seems like a scam for $200 a month. Says all it needs is a carb, which is only a couple hundred bucks right? Just seeing what my options are...

66sportfury 01-24-2009 09:40 AM

you could take out the motor and trans and put a chrysler init! if its a spread bore carb that it needs than around 300 new. if it not spread bore than about 200 new. if it needs a four barrel carb that is.

66sportfury 01-24-2009 09:44 AM

http://images.craigslist.org/3k93mc3...bfd38b1763.jpgheres a 73 barracuda that is by where i live the guy wants $3500 with out the motor or $5000 with the 340 and four speed

PuppetMaster 01-24-2009 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 66sportfury (Post 11074)
http://images.craigslist.org/3k93mc3...bfd38b1763.jpgheres a 73 barracuda that is by where i live the guy wants $3500 with out the motor or $5000 with the 340 and four speed

nice car! The thing is, at the moment i can only afford to make payments on a car...so unless that guy is willing to let me make payments, it probably wont happen :(...i should just be patient and save money, but that isn't my strong suit...haha

78D200 01-24-2009 03:19 PM

Try to save up as much as you can. If you want a car that you can drive but stil needs some work, expect to pay a few grand at least. I have started to just look around for a project car that I too can drive and fix/build (as long as the woman doesn't see/hear it :D) and I am looking at spending $3-$5 grand. Of course I want something that has very little to no body work (I hate doing body work).

PuppetMaster 01-24-2009 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 78D200 (Post 11093)
Try to save up as much as you can. If you want a car that you can drive but stil needs some work, expect to pay a few grand at least. I have started to just look around for a project car that I too can drive and fix/build (as long as the woman doesn't see/hear it :D) and I am looking at spending $3-$5 grand. Of course I want something that has very little to no body work (I hate doing body work).

I hear ya on the woman thing, oh boy do i ever....and the body work part too. I know i have to save up and spend that much, maybe more, but i am horrible with money

Crazy4Carz.Com 01-24-2009 03:33 PM

I try to pass on my years of experience, and still I cant get through. Please don't buy anything now. If you don't have the money to buy a toy cash (or mostly) you shouldn't be buying toys like this. The car you are looking at is maxed out its value. If you put another $10,000.00 into it, the value will not change. The 'Cuda is a much better buy. At this time you can't afford either one. Save your money, you'll be glad you did. There I said it, you wont listen, I didn't either.

78D200 01-24-2009 05:40 PM

I don't think any of us listened when we were young(er). :rolleyes:

If I had listened to half of what my parent's said and what Heather has said, I would have owned half the number of vehicles that I have and probably would have enough saved up right now that my J10 would be done and I could have a dart for a toy.

66sportfury 01-24-2009 07:40 PM

[quote=78D200;11104]I don't think any of us listened when we were young(er). :rolleyes:

thats for sure... things would be a bit diff if i had listend. but i remember day dreaming about the car i was fixing up when i was younger. point is hey its what you want to do. just crazy4cars makes a very good point.

challenger 01-25-2009 06:03 AM

Welcome to the forums PuppetMaster and like everyone is saying pick what you truly like and stay away from a rice burner , save some money and go pick out a nice car that you will enjoy for years to come as its not like the tv shows where you can do it in a week unless you have the bank roll for parts and time on your hands like 24/7 but just enjoy the one you are wanting to build as that makes it nicer to fix it up knowing you will enjoy it that much even more but if i were you i would go mopar as they are awsome and always look great and the power you can make with any of the motors they have to choose from but you will see a big differance in the cost of parts for mopar vs cheby/ferd but to us in the long run its worth it