General Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to start my first project....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I don't know what those cars are...Skylark ? Camaro ?
Old 01-23-2009, 03:33 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You might have better luck asking at a chevy forum for those cars.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome, a good place to start would be with a Mopar.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Admin

Mopar covers dodge, plymouth, chrysler, jeep, and some AMC (the earlier jeeps). Do a search for pics online of mopars, I'm sure that you'll find something you like.

The moderators on in the process of putting a section together so that everyone can start their own thread about each of their vehicles (one thread per vehicle within reason of course). We are just trying to work out some of the details. I'm sure that will help you decide on what you would like to have as a project as well.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Admin

If there is absolutely no body work (a.k.a. rot or rust) and all teh glass was in there, then that would be a good deal. There are other deals out there to be had, you may just have to drive for them. Take a look on craigslist, I have found some pretty good deals on tehre from people that just want the vehicle gone.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Admin

That car there would be great for a sleeper project. I agree with 66 about the pre 67 318s and the fury.

I'm sure that if you love camaros, that you would love a cuda then. I would also save up and find something that is easy to fix for your first project. Don't jump right into a car that need a lot of mechanical work and body work unless you have the time and knowledge on how to do it. Find something that you know you can handle.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK where do I start.

First find a car you honestly love. This is extremely important, if there is any doubt that you like it (love it) you will never finish the project and it will bitter you for future projects.

Second find a car that runs/drives. This way you can drive and enjoy the car as you work on it. This is very important especially for your first project. You will less likely become overwhelmed and abandon the project. Also if it does run/drive and you become disappointed with the progress or the final/partial outcome you will still have a sell-able car that you will be more likely to sell and recoup some of your investment.

Thirdly, buy something you can afford and something that will allow you to have discretionary spending for modifications and improvements to the car.

Fourth, while everyone on these forums will agree that a MOPAR is the best choice in a classic or muscle car, choose something for your first car that will be more marketable. (in the event you decide this is not for you)

Lastly, forget ever getting the money you put into a car back out. All the new parts you install and all the money you invest is now used parts and attached to a car that somebody before you didn't want to fix and that you now are selling because for what ever reason you don't want it either. It will bring the most money finished, so don't be afraid to keep putting money in so that you are able to get any of your money back.

Good luck with whatever car you choose. And I can't help it, I am a MOPAR fan but I like all kinds of cars as well. another great site is (my screen name) WWW.Crazy4Carz.Com there are other people there that have less taste in cars and like stuff like chebbies, and Furds. Let me know if there is any way we can help.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 78D200
Mopar covers dodge, plymouth, chrysler, jeep, and some AMC (the earlier jeeps).
don't forget Desoto
Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good points crazy 4 cars .
i am thinking your a young guy ? with not heaps of ?
remember a lighter car will get off the line quicker than a heavier one .
it costs a lot of $ to make a bigger car go fast , handle & stop . that is why i like A bodys . you could all ways find one with a slant 6 & drive it around , then find a rusted or smashed one with V8 , gearbox & diff exhaust ect , as money comes in spend it on rebuilding your bits & pieces . ect ect oh well happy hunting .
Old 01-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Admin

Try to save up as much as you can. If you want a car that you can drive but stil needs some work, expect to pay a few grand at least. I have started to just look around for a project car that I too can drive and fix/build (as long as the woman doesn't see/hear it ) and I am looking at spending $3-$5 grand. Of course I want something that has very little to no body work (I hate doing body work).
Old 01-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I try to pass on my years of experience, and still I cant get through. Please don't buy anything now. If you don't have the money to buy a toy (or mostly) you shouldn't be buying toys like this. The car you are looking at is maxed out its value. If you put another $10,000.00 into it, the value will not change. The 'Cuda is a much better buy. At this time you can't afford either one. Save your money, you'll be glad you did. There I said it, you wont listen, I didn't either.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Admin

I don't think any of us listened when we were young(er).

If I had listened to half of what my parent's said and what Heather has said, I would have owned half the number of vehicles that I have and probably would have enough saved up right now that my J10 would be done and I could have a dart for a toy.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:03 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to the forums PuppetMaster and like everyone is saying pick what you truly like and stay away from a rice burner , save some money and go pick out a nice car that you will enjoy for years to come as its not like the tv shows where you can do it in a week unless you have the bank roll for parts and time on your hands like 24/7 but just enjoy the one you are wanting to build as that makes it nicer to fix it up knowing you will enjoy it that much even more but if i were you i would go mopar as they are awsome and always look great and the power you can make with any of the motors they have to choose from but you will see a big differance in the cost of parts for mopar vs cheby/ferd but to us in the long run its worth it

Quick Reply: Want to start my first project....