Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Want to start my first project.... (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/want-start-my-first-project-2161/)

PuppetMaster 01-25-2009 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy4Carz.Com (Post 11095)
I try to pass on my years of experience, and still I cant get through. Please don't buy anything now. If you don't have the money to buy a toy cash (or mostly) you shouldn't be buying toys like this. The car you are looking at is maxed out its value. If you put another $10,000.00 into it, the value will not change. The 'Cuda is a much better buy. At this time you can't afford either one. Save your money, you'll be glad you did. There I said it, you wont listen, I didn't either.

I hear ya, and i am listening...actually listening more to my woman more than anyone else...She is usually right about this kinda thing, with money, and she says you guys are right. I just needed some other opinions. Thanks guys

67 GTX 01-25-2009 04:45 PM

save up your money
the more and more you save up, the better car you can get
same with my situation

aaron501420 01-27-2009 07:22 PM

Challenger is right, old mopars are considerably more expensive to restore than chevys and fords, but as long as you stay away from the big names (charger, challenger, cuda...) you could find something in your budget. I'm personally fond of the Dart. Two-doors with a small block are easy to find. Plus, with all the junkyard, late-model magnums and hemis (there are a dozen totaled hemi rams for sale here around little rock) you could build something really cool without breaking the bank. Could you imgine a 5.7 hemi Swinger!?! You could even snag some 20" rims off a Ram. That'd be Awesome!

78D200 01-28-2009 03:42 AM

I too love the Darts. A 4 door sleeper is what I am planning for my next project..... after my jeep is done.

67 GTX 01-28-2009 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by 78D200 (Post 11334)
A 4 door sleeper is what I am planning for my next project

that'll be quite a project:D

Crazy4Carz.Com 01-28-2009 02:58 PM

You guys are forgetting something important in this whole discussion. The car type doesn't matter. The cost of restoration is almost the same regardless of the car you choose.

That sound outrageous, and before anyone says BULL$HIT, I'll explain.

1. The engine doesn't know what car it is going in. Dart or 'Cuda same engine choices same cost.

2. Transmission/Rear same thing car doesn't matter

3. Paint and body. Other than condition, the Dart and the 'Cuda take the same amount of paint, sand paper, primer... Same.

4. Do you think quarters for a 'Cuda cost more than Darts? Nope, almost the same.

5. Check legendary, the upholstery, carpet, headliner... all the same (within a couple bucks)

6. Wiring, brakes, tires, wheels, headers/exhaust, etc... all the same

Now lets compare final value, the same restoration costs on a Dart or a 'Cuda. which is worth more finished? We all know that answer. I am building project Dart, not because it was cheaper but because that is what I wanted when it is done.

The only cost difference is the actual vehicle cost at the begining. The prices of a decent project car is not that far different at the begining of the project compared to the final value when finished. The better the car you start with the better the car you have when you are finished.

If you are building for investment, build the car wrth the most when done. If you are building the car of your dreams, you can't shop by price.

66sportfury 01-28-2009 09:45 PM

when you talk values yes me i agree with you but, i got 2 66 sp furiys worth 20,000 tops to a private seller. a collector wants 100 percent maybe 98% complete show room floor. i can buy a dart for 1500 or a beat up 1971 hemi cuda convert for 250,000.00 what can i afford? really? me a 1985 plymouth tc3. no but really they may all cost the same to be rebuilt but the buy it now price is what gets us to buy it. i know what you are saying and i agree. but most of us have a "K" car budget.

Polaradude 01-29-2009 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by 66sportfury (Post 11390)
when you talk values yes me i agree with you but, i got 2 66 sp furiys worth 20,000 tops to a private seller. a collector wants 100 percent maybe 98% complete show room floor. i can buy a dart for 1500 or a beat up 1971 hemi cuda convert for 250,000.00 what can i afford? really? me a 1985 plymouth tc3. no but really they may all cost the same to be rebuilt but the buy it now price is what gets us to buy it. i know what you are saying and i agree. but most of us have a "K" car budget.

Especially now with the economy the way it is. It's K car and Kraft dinner:D

devilkin4 02-03-2009 03:04 PM

if you are still looking for a mopar theres quite a few here in jacksonville Fl on craigslist and flouting around town i found a stash of like 6-8 mopars today on some peice of property when i was takin the back way home and im goin to try and get some pics so you guys can see and might try and buy some off the person who has them

O yea try and find a Volare that was my first real mopar that i drove around and didnt just buy it to sell it. i loved that car

challenger 02-05-2009 02:42 PM

I think it was well put C4C that was a good explanation and truthfull :D

78D200 02-06-2009 03:40 AM

Hey Crazy, I'll call BULLSH!T. Hehehe, j/k man.

I agree with you. The cost of rebuilding two different cars (the same exact way) will cost about the same.

jca_inMN 06-02-2010 02:03 PM

great advice c4c (and everyone)...exactly the information i was looking for. i assume this advice crosses lines between auto makers as well....so one can't make a statement such as "the cost of mopar restoration is higher than the cost of gm, ford, chev"... granted, i'm not taking into account purchase price or completed value price...just restoration cost of a vehicle who's parts are not hard to find.

Basically, i hear people tell me not to do a mopar project because the cost of restoration is much higher compared with the other makers...but it would be nice to be able to blow those people off.

I like the Dart/Hemi advice by Aaron, cuz lord knows in a year or so it will be a helluva day if i can find even a late 60's barracuda fastback, drivable, and in my budget range.

till that day i'll keep preparing the garage nest...which is also a lot of fun.

ef8340 06-03-2010 09:00 AM

reread what crazy4carz said and put your wallet back in your pocket if you feel like you must have an old car get a 70 dart so that way i can get it off of you when you are tired of it i've seen to many people get something and tell everyone there going to fix it up tear it all apart then either scrap it or sell it for a junk price
goodluck either way
Terry

scotts74birds 06-03-2010 05:47 PM

"Lazarus Thread"!!!!