General Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did they stop making Station wagons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did they stop making Station wagons?

Hello,
This is my first post, so please be kind
It's the Chevy Suburban, the only one on the forum.

I was wondering. I never really knew the answer to this, but how come stations wagons aren't being made anymore? What is it about them that caused people to stop buying them to lead to their end? I never really knew this. If you would be so kind as to explain, I'd be happy. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
SUV's took over
Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Station wagons are still around just not too many of them with the wood panel look lol. For instance the Chrysler 300 wagon, the pt cruiser although its getting a bit old now. The chevy hhr... yeah they are definitely still among us. They have just gotten a bit of the new styling. Now what I would like to know is what happened to 2 door and 4 door versions of cars? They only offer it on trucks now! I never in a million years thought the Charger would be made into a friggin 4 door family car,one of the most bad *** and iconic muscle cars of all friggin time! Thats like if I were to go back to 1968 and buy a 4 door coronet and run around saying hey check out my new Super Bee!! So stupid! You would think they would atleast offer a 2 door version! Wish they would move the Super bee name over to the challenger base. Most definitely never thought i'd see a 4 door Super Bee! What the heck is wrong with these people! lol Now dont get me wrong the new "Charger" is a nice car. But for me its no Charger, and the new "Super Bee" is most definitely no Super Bee.The Charger doesnt even come close to resemble a Charger. If you ask me the Super Bee was gone forever when they stopped putting it on the Coronet in 71 and moved it to the Charger. Sorry got a bit off topic here lol. Just some things that make me want to rant lol.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs down

its all based on profit stupid but true profit profit profit all there share holders standing with there hands out and meanwhile the company is being mismanaged at every level untill opps sorry sorry every body
"chrysler group llc"
what a frigin joke!
and you follow the history of boards of directors of large corporations there purpose is to ruin a company for the most personal gain mean time everyone gets screwed
now all these companies own each other. share there technology look at all the mergers hell the technology for the v 10 cam from mazzarati
i feel that's my main reason for loving the old school they are american not multinational
my la block was engineered built tested and proven here in america
there was only one reason the engineering was surppresed in american car companies read between the lines people its right in our faces
{mr royalton .. speedracer..} "every year the owners get together to decide whose going to win the grand-pre.... you see burns new he was going to win
it's not about cars or drivers it about power and the unassailable might of money!"

[Gerald Celente.. Trends magazine} "there all a bunch of money junkies in desperate need of their next fix"
Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
A better question is why did Ford drop the Ranger, Dodge the Dakota. Around this part of the country, there is lots of both.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I can sure tell you why I never liked the one my Dad had when I was a kid!!!! ( I swore back then I would never have one) I think the one he had was a Buick Electra or something like that, had the wood paneling on the sides.. There where 5 of us kids and I always had to ride in the back (3rd) seat...And the rear seat in the back faced backwards instead of forward, And I think I stayed car sick for years I hated that dam thing..I had to ride on my knees looking forward the whole time I was In it....Swore I would never have one!! I Dont remember what he ended up doing with it? I think he traded it for a Oldsmobile delta 88 that almost killed all of us ( literally ) on a long trip with carbon monoxide poisoning, because of a small break in the exhaust system and a rusted hole in the floor pan in the back..I remember looking over at my sister while I was falling asleep, and she was ghost white with purple lips and wasn't breathing anymore...My dad pulled over threw her in the snow, and did CPR on her and brought her back, while I ran around delirious trying to run out into the highway they said...( I didnt remember doing any of that..just what they told me latter.) Sorry, dony know why I went there.....Anyway, yea, I dont care for station wagons much at all.....kinda glad there gone!!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
I think they phased them out after the baby boomers got older.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Second post was the answer. Why re-engineer a car if you have a truck platform you can use. Wagons died about the time the big three all did a suburban/explorer thing. Chrysler kind of stayed true for the most part but it was known as a "mini van"..... and not a car derived platform....