Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd idea... Not seen in my State

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd idea... Not seen in my State

Well, I've been to dozens of car shows this year and in the last 3, I've only seen Mopars with 2 hood pins on the front, but what if...

You take off the latches to the back of the hood, so it doesn't lift up and replace it with 2 hood pins in the back where you can just lift the hood off the whole car?

Would it work and how would I go about doing that?
I can mount the 2 pins on the radiator support but what about the back.

I know a lot of you have probably seen it done, but I haven't in my state.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
RR -

It's been done with fiberglass replacement hoods, and should work with the factory hoods as well, providing you can find flat mounting surfaces.

Please let us know how it goes - AFTER you try lifting your metal hood by yourself . Sorry couldn't resist. Those hoods are pretty heavy and not very maneuverable.

Archer
Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Well I know they are heavy, but I will always have another person with me at a show to lift it or when working on the engine, I don't want to switch out for a fiberglass hood, I want to keep the original on it. For the first two I have my spot, but I might need to make pin mounts to go on the side of the compartment.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
forgetting its a coke bottle car, that extra foot of steel hood... yikes!
the steelie on an a-body is bad enough.
you would do all that work and no-one would notice or appreciate.

as far as the two front pins, mopar was very nice on a lot of models and put spots where pins can easily be mounted. being an available option, they had to be easily added down the line.

look for existing holes that match up no both sides of the inside of the hood, then match them up to places around the radiator support.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:44 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

thats how the 69 roadrunner came ..the A12 package no hinges just a lift off fiberglass hood
Old 05-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Well I wouldn't care if nobody else notices, I'll notice and appreciate it, it's not really for show and tell, it'll be mainly for my own gain.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Would it be possible to mount the rear hood pins to the hinges?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Mopar Fanatic

No, I don't think those old hinges will support the weight of the hood, I might have to weld a mount and bolt it to the side of the engine compt.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:38 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

Originally Posted by RROriginals
Well I wouldn't care if nobody else notices, I'll notice and appreciate it, it's not really for show and tell, it'll be mainly for my own gain.
swing away merrill...
Old 05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnthegoalie
swing away merrill...
Eh, I'll disregard that completely, I know how I can handle it, it's called ingenuity, so I'll figure out something for the last two pins and the weight.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Go for it Steve! That's what hot rodding is all about, doing what you want to your car.

I have no doubt that you can figure it out. Might think about making a bracket that bolts to the hood hinge holes in your inner fender wells, a 90 degree bend at the top to provide a flat surface for the hood to sit on and the pin to mount. Better think of something like a body bushing rubber to go around the pin for the hood to rest on, both to spread out the weight a little and to keep the squeaks down.

Send us pics on here when ya do it
Old 05-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
You would just have to fab up some brackets and mount them in the corner of the firewall and fender.

What will you gain by doing this?
Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 78D200
You would just have to fab up some brackets and mount them in the corner of the firewall and fender.

What will you gain by doing this?
i'm guessing about 22 inch biceps
Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 AM
Mopar Fanatic

haha.

im guessing what he wants to gain is just to personalize his own car. in-different his from others. BuckNeccid is right, isnt that the definition of hotroding?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
That would be personallizing it.

Hot Rodding is building a nasty motor and dropping it into a sick looking ride to create a hate machine that the devil himself would fear.

For instance -
Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Gents -

Sorry to be a wet blanket, hot rodding is fine, but the problem is that sooner or later he's going to have to get under the hood and he won't have any one around to help. The end result will most likely be a damaged hood or scratched/dinged paint job.

Guess as we get older (both us and our cars), unless we're building a race-only machine, some level of practicality has to factor in.

Archer
Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNeccid
Go for it Steve! That's what hot rodding is all about, doing what you want to your car.

I have no doubt that you can figure it out. Might think about making a bracket that bolts to the hood hinge holes in your inner fender wells, a 90 degree bend at the top to provide a flat surface for the hood to sit on and the pin to mount. Better think of something like a body bushing rubber to go around the pin for the hood to rest on, both to spread out the weight a little and to keep the squeaks down.

Send us pics on here when ya do it

I agree with Buck... We do this all the time on race cars with fiberglass finders and hoods... The bracket is exactly what we do... One idea about the bushings is to use a piece of heater hose or what ever size it takes to fit over the nut on the pin.. If the fit is tight enough the hose will stay on the pin when you remove the hood and not stick to it and fall off and roll over the ground and worse yet loose it.. You can cut this to the length you need to make sure it fits properly and its pretty inexpensive... Plus no squeaks here also.....
Old 05-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I just keep having visions of you getting really hurt trying to get it off yourself to check the oil or top up the washer fluid, your buddys not always gonna be there to help you, for example if my Bro called me at 6 am to come lift the hood off and check the oil I be telling my buddy to loose the pins and put the time and money into a set of good headers it will go faster then ..... serious Steve glass hood if your going to do this and not ruin your back .....
Old 05-12-2010, 10:32 AM
thinkin with me dipstick

no wiseassery, but what is the point of making it a lift off hood? with an old car you have be ready to pop the hood at a moments notice.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Thanks for the Pros and Cons, but for 5 years of my life I basically built tons of things out of nothing, I can make this work, or I could make it a motorized hood. I have some actuators that are small enough to fit in each corner of the compartment for the hood, and the rods can hold about 250lbs, and my own gain would be doing something unique that I've never done and accomplishing it, thanks for the ideas and the concerns, but there is a way to do it with a factory hood. The actuators will just have to be run on a second car battery, and I have enough space to mount a second one.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

have fun.

maybe you should get rid of the door hinges too, have a pull off door - haven't seen that either...

Last edited by johnthegoalie; 05-12-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
At least with a lift off hood you won't hit your head on the hood latch whilst working on the ol girl. It hurts like hell when that happens. In your shop or shed or where ever you work on it, you could rig up a pulley system to lift he whole thing off with a pull of a rope, or something similar to that. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Mopar Fanatic

@johnthegoalie - Just goes to show how thick headed someone can be and non-tolerant of new ideas.

@Buffalo - Thanks, I can rig something, another idea I had was keeping the latches in the back, 2 pins in the front and putting 2 extended rods on the latches, so you can pull up the hood and lift it out of the way, so you don't smash your head lol, it's like an extended latch.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Just saying but why don't you save up for something you actually need? lol I would just appreciate it the way it is...
Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

@johnthegoalie - Just goes to show how thick headed someone can be and non-tolerant of new ideas.
yup, jus goes to show.

well enough of this circle jerk - get busy on the horizontal lift hood...
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I think other things are needed before that, ya'know, Brakes and the electrical?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just put fake pins on the back of the hood.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:52 AM
Mopar Lover

[QUOTE=RROriginals;44484]@johnthegoalie - Just goes to show how thick headed someone can be and non-tolerant of new ideas.

Now now, play nice.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Mopar Fanatic

@Crazy4Cars - I personally wouldn't put fake pins, makes you look inferior
Old 05-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Hydraulic assisted flip frontend lmfao ..... go big or go home!!!

Just kidding ....

Quick Reply: Wierd idea... Not seen in my State