Winter Storage tips:

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter Storage tips:

Time to prepare for winter storage

Here in the northeast as well as other parts of the country this is the time of year we put our toys away and look forward to next year.

Here is a list of items to remember before covering the car for the winter.

1. Disconnect battery and put on a Battery tender. These are not all the same, it is important not to use a trickle charger, these will fry the battery (sulfate).

2. Oil change and filter

3. Cooling system flush and fresh coolant (at the correct portions)
4. Tires to max inflation (see side wall of tire)

5. Top off all fluids (trans, windshield washer, rear, brake fluid, Clutch fluid,)

6. Fill Gas tank as full as possible, and add fuel stabilizer (Ok to go a little heavy) Remember, gas tanks rust out on the inside top of the tank from condensation building up on the inside. If there is fuel all the way to the top, there is no room for moisture to collect.

7. Vacuum and detail the interior. Make sure there is no French fry's under the seat or anything that would draw rodents/insects. pick up some desiccant packets (these are the little packets that keep things dry). Baking soda boxes are a good idea as well.

8. Wash, clay bar, polish and wax the outside. This includes the chrome and brightwork.

9. Clean the engine bay. Not a bad idea to put some rat/mouse poison under the hood. Mice like to build nests in engine bays and chew wires.

10. Put mouse traps on the floor around the car.

11. Clean out the trunk and air up the spare.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Great tips!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy4Carz.Com
Time to prepare for winter storage

Here in the northeast as well as other parts of the country this is the time of year we put our toys away and look forward to next year.

7. Vacuum and detail the interior. Make sure there is no French fry's under the seat or anything that would draw rodents/insects. pick up some desiccant packets (these are the little packets that keep things dry). Baking soda boxes are a good idea as well.

9. Clean the engine bay. Not a bad idea to put some rat/mouse poison under the hood. Mice like to build nests in engine bays and chew wires.

10. Put mouse traps on the floor around the car.
All very good tips!

I had a problem with a mouse one year. This mouse, that I probably picked up when I took a girl out to a nice spot in the country, made a home inside my first Fury behind the dash board with the foam from below the front seat.
When the mouse wasn't building it's cool little house.... it would nibble on the wire looms and miscellaneous other wires.
This created problems for years, until I totally replaced the dashboard wiring harness with a harness from a donor car!

So, to clarify: Put a mouse trap or traps INSIDE the car!

And yes.... the girl was cute! And fun, too!