Wheel and Tires Forum for wheels and tires

'69 RR OEM wheels/Redline Tire Options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question '69 RR OEM wheels/Redline Tire Options?

I currenty have a '69 Road Runner with 14x6 wheels and 225/70/14 tires up front and 15x8 wheels and 29x12.5x15 tires out back

My plan is to pick up a new set of wheels and redline tires for daily driving and save the big meats and skinnies for weekend strip use

This is basically the look I'm after

Now, I know original bia plys are out of the question

Not safe and way too expensive for old tire technology

Thing is, Radial redlines from Coker and DiamondBack aren't exactly cheap either

The jew in me just can't justify spending $250 bucks on a $100 tire just because it has a red stripe on it

So, I'm thinking about just getting a set of cheap white stripe Radials and breaking out the paint brush

http://www.rangerpaint.com/blogs/testimonials

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redline-Red-...764bd9&vxp=mtr

Now, a few questions....

1) Should I go with 15x6 or 15x7 wheels?
I know 15x6 are OEM, but I'm not sure what they'll look like with radials (remember, I'm trying to get as close to the stock look as possible)

2) What metric size is closest to the original G70-15?

3) What brand of white stripe tires has the closest matching size and position of the original redstripe?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
My preference with a radial would be to go with the 7" rim. My understanding is that Coker just re molds the tire to put the red line on. So tire paint would work
Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER

Not safe and way too expensive for old tire technology

Excuse me?

Bias plys are the safest tire out there! They don't blow out like radials do. Not as cheap to manufacture though which is why radials are so cheap to buy.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jacilynn_s
Excuse me?

Bias plys are the safest tire out there! They don't blow out like radials do. Not as cheap to manufacture though which is why radials are so cheap to buy.
I've had several bias ply tires blow out on me

Granted, they were all older than I am, but that's not to say they won't blow

The only upside I see is that when they do blow out, they don't cause nearly as much damage as a radial tire, but that's to be expected due to their design.

I was actually referring to their safety in terms of handling as well as being more susceptible to cuts, punctures and impact damage from everyday use (not to mention they wear like $h!t)

For the drag strip or slow rock crawling where a strong flexible sidewall is needed, I'd say bias ply all day, but for a daily driven vehicle, radials are definitely the way to go.

That being said, if they were actually somewhat affordable, I'd probably run bp's just for the sake of looking original :driving:
Old 04-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
You hit a pothole in a radial and a belt shifts over. The sidewalls are weaker than a bias ply. I can also honestly say I have never had a bias ply blow out on me even when they are over 20 years old and really giving her on the engine doing blackies and skids(drifting by new term).

That said a bias ply tire does completely drive different than a radial. Bias will follow the path of the person in front of you in snow or mud and steering out of that is really hard to do since the tire doesnt shift.

Now the other thing is the bias I have run are 4 ply or greater. I have a friend with a 1952 army jeep with one tire on it missing a chunk. you can actually see the plys. It's a 12 ply tire and it's still holding air! Kinda freaky in a way. We just have it on a rim to see when it will lose air. So far in 10 years it has lost a pound if that. Its the airforce army jeep canadian. Has the port on side of engine for boosting airplanes. 24 v system.

Still there is a company making radial redlines, which I can't find, that look original. Mount on 15 x 7 rims for best stabability since radials are softer and go for it.