30k mile service Ram 1500

Old 03-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
30k mile service Ram 1500

My wife took her truck to the dealership to get the 30K mile service yesterday, she came home with a receipt for over $750. They took advantage of her lack of knowledge and charged her for services I don't believe were correct. I went in to speak to service manager and he assured me these were the normal services they recommend. I showed them the owners manual and what services it states and he told me the manufacturer is wrong about servicing the vehicle. I wanted to ask what you guys do on your 30K service when working on Ram pickups? How often do you the flush transfer case? When do you recommend fuel injection system cleaning? Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
I just follow the manual, I bought a new tractor in 2010 and took it back to the dealer for the first service. I called them on the rack that all the bolts they should have removed to service it still had factory paint on them. I got the sales managers involved even breaking a bolt loose in front of them and showing them how much paint comes off. I left not paying a thing and did my own service after that.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
What Year and Engine????? Not sure what your working on.... But if your Cummins got and oil change for that price, You should be happy as hell !!!!!!

My point is there are 2 was to look at this.... Standard service and Server duty service.... Could be that if the truck had never been in for service that the truck needed to be caught up on? Kind of like behind on the scheduled serving.
Standard service for me: 3,000 Miles Oil and filter, top off fluids, Brake check, tire rotation, add fuel conditioner, < Replace anything else you see Extra>
20,000 - 50,000 All the above and Dump all fluids and flush and change all filters, front end alignment. Tune-up ect,< Replace anything else you see Extra>

Server Duty: Gets all of it every 20,000 Miles (Yep The Works) Keeps failures down.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Mopar Fanatic

It is a 2016, 5.7L. It is all caught up on maintenance and been taken very good care of. Never towed with it and many of the miles are highway. Owners manual states 120K for transfer case flush, they did it at 27K. The thing that irritates me the most is they never told my wife about the extras and their website does not list these services for the 30K. She asked for a 30K service. The charged $300 for a fuel injection cleaning and told me the air hat has to be removed to clean throttle body. I changed air filter myself a couple hours later and there were no marks on the air hat to say it had ever been removed. Dust was untouched.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:28 AM
Mopar Lover

Looking a little deeper.. I use a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 4X4 SLT 4Door as a reference..
I do see a 30K (inspect) transfer case fluid. But no Flush and replace unless there was a problem. They should have called you. My info was given as per AllData Service Repair.
I am unclear as to why they sold you a Injection service?
You have already talked to the dealer about fixing the issue. I will ask you to call Chrysler Customer Support and put in a complainant and see if they will look into the matter for you.
If any of the price's are over what your estimate was posted on your signed receipt, The service writer should have called you. If that did not happen, Let see what Chrysler support will do about it?
After that. I'll have another recommendation for you.
Best of luck... You should have been called before performing any other service.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Mopar Fanatic

That should be the right maintenance schedule you are looking at, Big Horn instead of SLT but otherwise right. They were tricky about it. She did not know what came with the 30K service, I am the one who keeps track of those things. She asked for 30K service, they added the stuff on and she dropped truck off not knowing they had added things. On top of that she paid and picked up the vehicle before I knew what had been charged. I have already filed a complaint with Ram and am waiting to see where it goes from there, will keep you updated.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Don't beat up on the wife to much... Your rite, she fell victim to them taking advantage of her, and thinking she was doing the rite thing.... Us dudes take care of most of this type of stuff..
Old 03-12-2019, 04:35 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I finally got my response from Ram, was not what I expected. After this experience I am ready to trade in the Ram before it's next service and go to a Ford. Here is the response from Ram.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I have been in contact with Service Advisor Paul who confirms all maintenance that was completed was recommended for your vehicle. Regrettably, owner’s manual and maintenance schedules are a general guideline. Our dealerships are who entrust in any technical concerns.

That being said, I appreciate the time and effort you took to bring this matter to our attention.
However, in situations such as yours, dealerships are responsible for addressing any service-related concerns with their retail customers.

This includes discrepancies in invoices, service charges, damages, any additional agreements made or any missing components at the time of service.

With this in mind, we would urge you to continue to work with your dealership service department on the matter.
We have documented your concerns and have made them available to our dealership development team for review.

Please know that your feedback and opinion are both very important to us.

I hope you have a wonderful week!
Old 03-12-2019, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Red face

Your service writer is doing a job for his employer, making him money. He probably works on a commission, dont expect a Ford GM dealership to be deferant.

Last edited by Iowan; 03-12-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:56 AM
Mopar Lover

Hum, If Colorado has a "Bureau of Automotive Repair" I would ask the to look into the complaints.