Electronic ignition help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic ignition help needed

I have a 1989 Dodge D100 truck w/ a LA 318. It was, originally a roller cam, lean burn, throttle body w/ ECU. I am building it w/ a flat tappet hydraulic cam, 302 ported heads, Kieth Black high compression pistons, Edlebrock RPM intake & 600 cfm Carb., Long tube headers & using a Mopar Orange electronic ignition set-up. This means that the ECU will no longer be needed. Has anyone ever deleted the ECU & rewired a similar set-up? Do I need to add a Horn/ Starter relay? Someone said that I would have to use an old style alternator & voltage regulator, is that true? Is my current ammeter one of the ones that is wired in series? Can I just use an older engine harness, or is there a better solution? I am going to use a mechanical fuel pump, just plain more accessible. Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by D-cat; 04-30-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
On the alternator issue, I run a Ford G3 with internal regulator. Chrysler does not have a 130 amp unit which I need for fans, fuel pump electric water pump and Halogen head lights. The ECU can be deleted but look closely at what it currently interfaces with. Sometimes guages, fuel pumps and speedo's are on the list. Elimination calls for rewiring according to older vehicles as long as all the emmisions crap is stripped. Check local laws and standards before proceeding. You can purchase engine bay harnesses fairly cheap but you may be into a partial rewire at the dash or at best a few mods to the wiring. I recommend you get an earlier manual from an earlier truck with an electrical diagram enclosed. As far as charge current goes the basic minimum these days, with all the goodies people add for power and driveability, is about 80 amp which gives some room to grow electronically. There's too many choices in alternators these days to even give concern to externally regulated units.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooty
On the alternator issue, I run a Ford G3 with internal regulator. Chrysler does not have a 130 amp unit which I need for fans, fuel pump electric water pump and Halogen head lights. The ECU can be deleted but look closely at what it currently interfaces with. Sometimes guages, fuel pumps and speedo's are on the list. Elimination calls for rewiring according to older vehicles as long as all the emmisions crap is stripped. Check local laws and standards before proceeding. You can purchase engine bay harnesses fairly cheap but you may be into a partial rewire at the dash or at best a few mods to the wiring. I recommend you get an earlier manual from an earlier truck with an electrical diagram enclosed. As far as charge current goes the basic minimum these days, with all the goodies people add for power and driveability, is about 80 amp which gives some room to grow electronically. There's too many choices in alternators these days to even give concern to externally regulated units.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that the newer Alternators are preferable. Smog crap is not an issue where I live. The truck has one of the early ECUs, 59 pin Nippendenso, so doesn't interface with as much stuff as later models. I do have both the wiring diagram for the truck & for earlier models. I am going to attempt to rewire an older engine harness to plug into the bulk head for the interior harness. I will have to be creative in order to maintain the column mount Intermittent wipers & the dimmer switch. The only other things that I am not really sure about is the cruise control & the ignition wiring itself. Does anyone know what year Chrysler last used the factory electronic ignition, prior to "Lean Burn"?