Ok can someone tell me where I went wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several on here and keep your post at the top and someone will respond. You have quite a situation and it will take someone who builds several engines to come along and see your post. Don't lose heart.

Kenny
Old 12-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
With all due respect, and no sarcasm intended, you need to find a LOCAL person who can give you some hands on, personal advice on engine building. For example, your worries about "what spark plug" at the same time that you are experiencing major engine seizing problems shows just how far astray you've gotten.

You spend a fair amount of money on the block, but--you used six-pack rods, which need to be incorporated into rebalancing the engine. You make no mention of this.

UNLESS A PROPERLY BUILT ENGINE--RUNNING PROPER CLEARANCES is SEVERELY overheated, it should not EVER seize, not EVER!!! If you have an engine that won't crank, seizes, etc, you need to tear it down and find out WHY!!! Piston-wall clearance, broken/ damaged/ dirty ring grooves, wrong rings-wrong end gap, inadequate rod side clearance, and rod/ main bearins too tight can all contribute. (add--cooling system!!)

The fact that you keep going through cams suggests you have a SERIOUS oiling problem. Again, get back to basics. Tear the engine down. Watch carefully when tearing down. Check oil passage matchup with head gaskets, use probes to verify ALL block and head passages, and check the cam bearings for alignment. Pumps are not all that expensive, it might just pay to dump the pump and buy another. Check CAREFULLY the pickup, that it is the correct one, and is on the bottom of the pan, and has not cracks or leaks. Also, with the horrid things you are putting that truck through, you might be bouncing enough oil right out of the pan that the pump is sucking air. Are you running a windage tray? I can't picture what you are doing, (you are describing jumping the truck) You MIGHT be in the envelope of needing a dry sump system)

Turning one of these engines with what is in reality a budget build to anywhere near 8000 is ludicrous. I hope you have a good scatter shield. You might want to consider a rev limiter, set say, to 6500

You admit the cam was "off a tooth." This suggests SERIOUS errors in engine building technique, and is why I suggest you find a local person for advice. This is a mistake that should NOT EVER HAPPEN (If you are running the stock type fiber sprocket, it might have "slipped." Get rid of THAT)

You speak of "I thought the plugs were the problem" and then say "went out still trying to tune." The trouble is a lot more basic that tuneup, I can assure you

Your theories:

1: You might be somewhat on the right track, again I would not run six pack rods, UNLESS you have balanced the mass to be compatible

2 Too loose? If anything, too tight. I doubt the oil is the problem

3: Please don't insult me. I've run several B block Mopars very hard, for a lot of miles. I've owned a '69 383 RR, a '70 six pack, a '64 426, along with a 340 which spent some time in the '70RR as well as a Landcruiser, with a few 273, 328, and others thrown in. My last 440 ended up in a friend's '74 Dodge 1/2T and ran very well for miles and miles

4. Yes, you might be starving for oil. The only way to tell is examine the bearing surfaces of the crank and cam I doubt that the SIZE of the pickup is the problem. It might be damaged, cracked, leaking, might not be on the pan bottom, you might need a windage tray, or even a dry sump. If you are bouncing this truck so hard in the air that the pickup is sucking air, it certainly is not the PICKUP tube's fault

5 Are you saying you HAVE a bent rod? Probably not from the machine shop!! This would NOT cause seizing only at warm temps

6 Only way to tell is tear it down!! Question is, what caused the flat cams?

7 No, I think you'll find one root cause, like poor assembly, tight bearings, starving for oil, etc.

8 How do you know the cooling system is adequate?