throw out bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throw out bearings

I was reading some info that came with my Sachs clutch kit but did not go into alot of detail....it was saying that there are 2 different length throw out bearings to be used depending on the type of pressure plate.... using one when you were suppose to use the other can result in improper clutching action. Can anyone give me more info on this.....by clarifying if you have the right one when buying a clutch kit. I dont trust alot places today when it comes to in depth detail issues....too many non former mechanics working the parts counter without the valuable experience.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never mind i found the explanation here it is verbatim:

'The diaphragm spring type clutches used are available in two different designs: Flat diaphragm springs or bent spring. The bent fingers are bent back to create a centrifugal boost ensuring quick re-engagement at higher engine speeds. This design enables pressure plate load to increase as the clutch disc wears and makes low pedal effort possible even with a heavy-duty clutch. The throw out bearing used with bent finger design is 1 1/4 long and is shorter than the bearing used with the flat finger design. These bearings are not interchangeable. If the longer bearing is used with the bent finger design , free pedal travel will not exist. This results in clutch slippage and rapid wear"

Now i gotta take off the lower cover on the bell house and see which one i have....hopefully they did not put the wrong one in the kit. The kind of pressure plate that came out of the truck was the "3 finger" type...but the throwout bearing looked the same as the new one i put in.