Valve cover bolt snapped.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve cover bolt snapped.

Been awhile since i posted been without computer.
So quick update.
Put 318 in my duster.
Blew my tranny.
Sold duster cause mom and girlfriend made me.
Got new job.
Bought 68 chrysler newport.
So for christmas my dad bought me valve covers.
So putting them on i snapped a bolt off and i know that oil is gunna spill out of the hole is there any way to get the rest of the bolt out?
Or do i need new cylinder heads now?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sgn, if you snapped a bolt putting them back on, you're tightening them wayyyyy too tight. They just need to be snugged enough to squeeze the gasket just a little. Too tight will make it leak as fast as too loose.

But your broken bolt... First take off your valve cover, and see if there is any of the old bolt sticking out of the head. If there is, you may be able to do one of two things: 1, try gripping it with a set of vice grips and taking it out. 2, cut or grind a slot across the top and then try taking it out with a screwdriver.

If none of it is sticking out, it's broken flush, and you have a welder, what you can do is take a nut the same size as the broken bolt, lay it on top of the broken part, and weld thru the hole onto the bolt. Make sure you only weld onto the bolt, fill the hole in the nut and it won't take too much to hold the nut to the bolt. Once you have a weld, just take a wrench and turn it out.

If you don't have a welder or the bolt is broken into the head, next step is to take a drill, drill a smaller hole in the broken bolt than the size of the bolt (The bolt is an 1/4" bolt, so something like 1/8" or in that neighborhood, but whatever, no larger than 3/16"). Make sure that before you begin drilling that you use a center punch to mark the center of the bolt, that's important to keep the drill bit from slipping and to mark the center of the bolt. Once you have the bolt drilled, you can use an "easy out" (Bolt extractor). They make them in two types: Spiral and square with flutes cut up the sides. Use which ever you feel best with. Be very careful tapping the right size easy out in the hole you drilled, then start taking the bolt out by turning the easy out. Be very careful, extractors are made of hardened metal, and if you break it off in the bolt, you have serious trouble, they are almost impossible to remove.

There are further steps you can take to get one out, but you're now talking a little more specialized tools, and the above will most likely take care of your problem, just be patient, and don't try to force it. There sure isn't any need to get new heads

Good luck, let us know how you make out.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2 with buck. But a note when welding a nut on, try not to use a galvanized [shiny] one. Bare steel sticks better.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Mopar Fan

im pulling it apart tomorrow to see if there is any sticking out i was thinking the vice grips. Hopefully i can do that.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if welding, be careful where you put the ground for the welder. don't know specifics, but i have heard of guys welding on an engine and arcing the piston rings to the inside of the cylinder...
Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Mopar Fan

There was plenty to grip on and wrench it out with vices. All is well
Old 01-10-2010, 04:27 PM

With Buckneccid on the welding tip, had to do that once with a broken exhaust stud.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by johnthegoalie
if welding, be careful where you put the ground for the welder. don't know specifics, but i have heard of guys welding on an engine and arcing the piston rings to the inside of the cylinder...

!!! New one to me never heard of that happening, frying alt. regulators, electronic igntions, but not welding the rings to the cylinders...
Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Allways put your ground as close to your weld as possible.
A couple of other tricks for removing bolt are, left hand drill bits, they will often take the bolt out and if not then go to the easy out. The other one requires a stick welder and is when the bolt is broke off down in a hole, take a piece of pipe drop it in the hole, weld a nut on the pipe right at the top of the hole, to keep it plumb for later, then put the electrode down the inside of the pipe and get somebody to turn the welder on for you and weld pipe to the bolt. This also heats the bolt and makes if very easy to remove.