window lift motor / regulator removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
window lift motor / regulator removal?

1989 Dynasty:
Cannot find the remaining items that prevent me from removing the window lift motor/regulator assembly from inside the front passenger door.

This is where I am:
Door panel removed .
Electrical connectors unplugged ( door lamp, door lock, window switch, speaker).
Two hex nuts from underside of door jamb that secure the regulator bracket to bottom of door removed.
Two size 10mm hex bolts that secure the lift motor to the inner side of door panel removed.
Four size 10 mm hex bolts that secure the window regulator to door frame removed.

After wrestling with the window lift motor/regulator assembly for an hour, I
decided to dissect the motor while it is still in the door and still attached to the regulator.
Window was taped to closed position to prevent it from dropping down on my hands.

Bad idea to dissect the motor:
I backed off the cover to the electric motor (2 screws) and found to my dismay that it contained the spring loaded armature contact brushes. Both rushes and springs popped out.
That is a separate issue to address.

Still trying to remove the lift motor/regulator assembly, yet something is securing it inside the door panel so that I cannot rotate the lift motor/regulator assembly outward.

Most other vehicles were self evident as to how to free the securing elements.
Not true with the Dynasty.
Does that window glass need to be separated from any components to proceed?
Haynes manual was useless.
Attached Thumbnails window lift motor / regulator removal?-motor-cover-removed-bad-idea.jpg   window lift motor / regulator removal?-anything-here-remove.jpg   window lift motor / regulator removal?-regulator-motor-pushed-outward.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Success after loosening the window glass 3 attachment bolts , size 10 mm .
Removed the 2 bolts that were most forward on door.
This provided slight wiggle room.
Why?

Also, removed the single 10mm bolt that secures the white plastic flex track that resembles railroad tracks. This was probably the key step.
This bolt was located at top of middle of the door and was visible when you peer through a hole in that area. I could not fathom how this was critical as visibility of the area was limited. But, it seemed to work.

Success in rebuilding the electric motor brushes and springs and washer that popped out of the motor housing .
This required using two pairs of tweezers to clamp the brushes and springs to the side of the housing as I carefully slid the rotating armature between/ through the brushes.
First, the springs were compressed with the aid of a toothpick to force compress each spring.
Then, another toothpick and tweezers nudged the carbon brushes into their square compartments where they reside. Delicate hands.
Then, a tweezer acted as a clamp to hold the compressed springs/brushes in place.
Very lucky.
Motor showed continuity and freely spun when 12v applied.
Held my breath on that one.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:44 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Good Job... Thanks for the update....
Careful working on those door!!! Those are flimsy....