1991 Chrysler Imperial

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 Chrysler Imperial

Help! Having a problem with my 1991 Chrysler Imperial. 2 Months ago I found a New ABs hydraulic Unit. To install it I had to remove Air Cleaner, Intake manifold & steering column. Got it all back together & engine check light came on ABS lights are off. So I checked my work & found some bad wiring & cut wires. Fixed that. I checked all wires on engine from alternator, map, IAC, throttle body etc. all are good. I broke the MAP reinstalling it. Got another Trouble code for Map voltage, it was not compatible. Ordered the correct MAP trouble code off. Now my engine won't start most of the time after multiple try's. The trouble code now is for Automatic shut down of fuel pump. I checked Fuse & relay. Good. Fuel pressure is 38 vacuum unplugged, 48 vacuum line connected. Only with engine running. Engine off No PSI at all. If & when engine starts. Slowly rises to 38 psi. So under the car I went. Found multiple rusted lines leaking. Replaced all Fuel & Vacuum lines to same area as Gas filter. Problem still is the long starting cycles before engine starts. The poor running engine has back fired & blew the Donut out exhaust manifold. Very noise & burned fire wall. Should I have Fuel PSI if I just turn on key? Were & how do I fix the ASD? When I turn a corner & or accelerate the engine dies. But if I lift accelerator engine will start or coast to a stop. Before I installed ABS I tuned up engine. Was running fantastic. Now I think it is in limp mode? Please help before I remove the fuel tank & start tearing into all the components. Imperial has 183,000 miles. I only drive it to get parts & in winter. Great car for winter snows. But now? She is broken. WHY?
Old 10-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 878 Likes on 857 Posts
Dont hold me to it..... But I think fuel pump runs for 3 seconds when you turn the key to the run position...... After that it times out, till you crank it...

Also I think it should hold pressure after you turn the key off for a certain amount of time.....

I think your on the right track. At least on that parts of your issues....
The following users liked this post:
lady blue (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 04:02 PM

I watched the youtube Videos from the car guy. I think that the Pump does not have enough volume? The relay gets hot to touch. I have looked for leaks & found nothing. It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow. I am going to jack it up & check Voltage at pump. Funny part of all this trouble shooting? When it stalls & won't start. If I take the vent hose off the canister. Blow into the hose. It starts. I am thinking it maybe dirt or some thing is clogging the vent? One piece of information I have not included. My Dad when I loaned him the Chrysler. He went to Krogers gas station. He filled it up many times with E-85 gas. Might be that his attempt to save money? Is costing me money now. I told him no e-85 or Sunoco. My 2004 SSR has had trouble codes from Sunoco Fuels. Even Ultra 94. Thank for your assistance. It just is frustrating to trouble shoot & read the repair manual to find a problem that the Vehicle passes the test & new parts have no affect. Do you know anything about ABS Brakes on Chevrolet's? I keep getting trouble codes P0265 every time I jack up the car to change oil.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Mopar Lover

Sounds like something might be floating around in the tank.... Wont hurt to look....
That code use to be common.... Out here in So-Cal we had found there was a loss of ground. I'll be dammed if I can remember what feed.... ether ABS model or the Body model.... I want to say Body model ground... But i'm drawing a blank.... Ones under the hood... the other is in the kick panel under the dash....
The following users liked this post:
lady blue (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Hi Bob, Well I sent Wednesday & Thursday taking out the Gas tank. It was easier than the pervious Gas Tanks I have removed on 60 Lincoln 22 gal. 66 Dodge 22 gal. & 1991 Suburban 25 gal. Disconnected all the wires they did have power & fuel lines. Loosened 2 bolts & un bolted the fill pipe. That was a pain. Could not get tank low enough to clear Axle & exhaust pipe. Any ways tank had about 4 gallons of gas still in it? The lock ring was rusted & would not move. Sprayed it with Blaster & one hit with a 2.5 ball peen hammer. The Module was in pieces? I dumped the gas into a couple buckets. The tank was surprisingly clean. Most of the Particles of rust I think I knocked them into it. Their is a vent that has a ball bearing in it that goes to Canister. It was stuck blocking vent to canister. Cleaned it up & new lines. I bought a Fuel pump on line. Mistake. Did not fit. Never again on ebay will I buy parts. So off to get another. Only one PARTS STORE in my area HAD ONE? Autozone had a OEM Delco Module for $139. as I compared the 2 before I left store. Some difference but connections were all the same. Struggled to get tank back in. Be nice to have a lift? LOL. Got it in& reconnected all the lines & wires. I hooked up Fuel PSI Gauge. No Pressure with just key turned on? I got the engine to start & pressed on fitting & gas was there. Got everything put back together. Went for a ride & finally I can turn & accelerate with out the engine stalling. The Fuel PSI Gage I exchanged it a Advanced Auto Parts. New one shows 40 PSI with Vacuum line to regulator, Vacuum line remover 50 psi. No Trouble codes! Yippy! So I am ready to go for winter? Battery is 8 years old & still shows good. Till the first 0 degree day. Thanks for your help that told me I was trouble shooting the right things. Todd
Old 10-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Mopar Lover

Glad to help..... But You did all the work.... Using good Fuel would be my suggestion and what ever additive Y'all like to use up that way to help lube the system.... Marvel Mystery Oil for fuel Works wonders... Just an FYI

Hope you got the ABS problem sorted out?

Until Next time..... Drive Safe..... Good Job.... You aced it.....
Old 01-23-2016, 05:11 PM

I think I finally got my Chrysler fixed. New PCM that is in Engine compartment. No module in kick panel. The search for problem found a badly rusted Air Compressor in Right rear under trunk floor. Removed it & found that the wiring harness to compressor is also the Fuel pump? So? I found that the fuel lines were leaking as well as Fuel rail. $200 later & 23 days. Running better than when I bought it in 2005. It was many problems that all decided to fail at same time?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Mopar Lover

Glad to hear your getting a handle on it.... Checking thing out one at a time. How did you fix the abs problem?
Old 01-23-2016, 06:00 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Older vehicles are not designed to run on E85 10% max that is what we have in Cal..