440 Six pack intake install

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
440 Six pack intake install

I'm changing my 4bbl holley to a six pack with Edlebrock intake mani. I'm getting a lot of different opinions on the sealing. I believe the cast iron intake only uses valley pan, but I'm thinking I need paper gaskets also when I make the change. Should I get a new valley pan, or can I re-use it, and just add the paper gaskets on top of pan between the intake and not remove the valley pan. Thanx, dj
Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM

Forgot to mention, the new intake is aluminum, and is the bolt torque 25ftlbs? I read 40, but I think that is for the cast iron.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
25ftlbs sounds right use a new valley gasket with the paper ones. Good luck and have fun
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM

Ok, thanx. I just received the six pack setup. I notice some filaform corrosion under two of the carbs. I cleaned it up and ready to mount carbs. Should I use the permatex gasket adhesive on both sides of the carb paper gasket? I got a lot of questions on sealing these components. Do I use two paper gaskets and sandwich the valley pan? I got the high temp rtv for the valley pan hold down bars, but not sure if I coat both sides of pan. Any links to the installation/proper sealing of the aluminum intake and carbs? Thanks guys....
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 PM

Ok, I'm reading so many different versions of how to seal the valley pan. I removed the original intake(cast iron) and the valley pan had paper gaskets installed on both sides. They were stuck to the valley pan as I removed it, but peeled off easily. I'm installing the six pack aluminum intake on the original cast heads. A lot of guys say just use the valley pan, but I've seen posts of guys using the paper gaskets and saying that they are for the aluminum intakes. The new intake is a Edlebrock with the part number 3412048 Chrysler on it. The base that will mount to the heads has all the milling grooves in it, and that makes me think it won't seal with just the valley pan. The pan came with four paper gaskets and instructions to seal all four to the valley pan. Is there anyone out there that can give me some solid instructions for my installation.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Six pack or 4 barrel valley panel installation is the same. I use the ultra black silicone. I glue the first paper gasket to the head using gasket sealer. I then run a thin line of silicone on the front and rear rails and then at the very bottom of both gaskets and meet the lines I put on the rail. Next I bolt down the valley pan with the front and rear hold down bars. Then I glue on the other paper gasket with gasket sealer on the top side of the valley pan. Then install the intake and bolt it down.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenfan
Ok, thanx. I just received the six pack setup. I notice some filaform corrosion under two of the carbs. I cleaned it up and ready to mount carbs. Should I use the permatex gasket adhesive on both sides of the carb paper gasket?
NO!!! you should not NEED any sealer for the carbs... if you do something isn't flat as it should be....
Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 PM

440 six pack intake install...Edelbrock

Thanx Brem, that is the most logical description I've heard. I'm installing the intake in the morning, and your tips will be used for sure. I called Edelbrock, and they kinda said the same thing. I never got a torque value for the front and rear hold down bolts, and couldn't find it anywhere online. I'll just use the RTV as prescribed, and tighten them snug. I'll be back with some carb questions for sure.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Valley pan install

Ok, I'm calling Edelbrock on this one. A lot of guys said, "no paper" gaskets on the valley pan. I was installing the aluminum intake and I called Edelbrock to ask them. Just like the manufacturer of the valley pan, they said to sandwich the valley pan with the provided paper gaskets......WRONG...after my sealant was setting, and I tried it twice, the only way the bolts lined up was with the pan only.....so much for installation instructions.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
If that is your case don't use the paper gaskets but instead use some Permatex The Right Stuff.

Squirt a little around the intake openings on the head and then around the intake openings on the valley pan.

Last edited by bremereric; 06-02-2012 at 10:03 PM.