neon r/t 2.0 intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neon r/t 2.0 intake

whats the best "bang for your buck" cold air intake/ throttle body spacer/etc....out there 04 neon r/t's?? and any other performance parts? i recently got the car and i wanted to add intake and exhaust to it, but not sure what else i should do. im 17 have a part time job and am living with my girlfriend and still going to school, so im on a tight budget lol.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Living with your girl friend and still in school ?? Leave it stock and save your money for school and living expenses !!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 PM

Now what would be the fun in that? Lol
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
may not be fun ! but the smart thing to do
Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by TVLynn
Originally Posted by Yellow04r/t
Originally Posted by TVLynn
Living with your girl friend and still in school ?? Leave it stock and save your money for school and living expenses !!!!
Now what would be the fun in that? Lol
may not be fun ! but the smart thing to do
I'm with TVLynn on this one.

If you NEED to have one (want isn't a good enough reason - Broken is the only reason you should be replacing it), then any with a smooth tube will work. As far as filters go, there are a bunch out there. I personally think K&N are over priced. There are others out there that will perform as good f not better for much cheaper.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 PM

This is my last semester and I go to full time working road crew at the R.M. Of Marriot running the grader and the mower. I've mowed 2 summers there and now I'm going on for a year full time and back off to Saskatoon for a mechanic course at siast. Car will defiantly be getting intake and exhaust this summer
Old 03-28-2012, 04:12 AM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
Intake and exhaust will be nice upgrade. Most stock tunes are rich and can handle the added air in / air out at WOT. But there are tradeoffs.

However here is something to think about before you spend a nickle:

The PCM is NOT truly self learning. It will run the tops and bottoms of supplied parameter in the tune map but cant go over or under those standards.

If I load the stock tune into my current car it wont even idle. If you do get it rolling it will back fire like crazy and is un-driveable. It needed a huge reduction in fuel and added timing at idle and a HUGE increase in fuel at WOT.

So TUNER and Data Logger should be first order of business. Tune what you have. There is power in there. Then add parts..
The following users liked this post:
Yellow04r/t (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 AM

so i was looking under my car today just to check out the exhaust system it has on it to see how it all layed out. a while back i posted a question to see iff my car had a resonator and i belive i was told that it didnt. so i was looking and it has a 2 foot long resonator smack dab in the middle of the car. so off to the farm i go tonight and im replacing it with a peice of tubing, drop some weight (minor lol) gain some noise ( effing rights!!) and performance? lol likely not noticeable though :P
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow04r/t
so i was looking under my car today just to check out the exhaust system it has on it to see how it all layed out. a while back i posted a question to see iff my car had a resonator and i belive i was told that it didnt. so i was looking and it has a 2 foot long resonator smack dab in the middle of the car. so off to the farm i go tonight and im replacing it with a peice of tubing, drop some weight (minor lol) gain some noise ( effing rights!!) and performance? lol likely not noticeable though :P
just looked on that post i made about the resonator and i was wrong i was told it might
Old 06-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Post Some info to consider..

I know it's been a few months since you asked the question, but I'm sure this would be helpful for anyone else checking out this thread. I was looking at the differences between R/T and regular neons, and here's a thread I came across earlier on this forum:

https://moparforums.com/forums/f50/neon-r-t-2944/

If you don't have time to read through the whole thing, here's one of the main differences between our R/Ts and regular (SE, SXT, etc...):

The R/T is rated at 150 hp on its SOHC design. It gets this through a variety of mods including: a race cam, larger valves, beefed up valve springs, larger intake manifold, variable airflow intake geometry which attempts to focus a wave of pressurized air on the intake valve openings, a performance PCM chip (91 octane required), a beefed up header exhaust, larger 2.25" diameter exhaust piping all the way back, performance muffler, 2 functional exhaust tips.
The point I'm trying to make is that we already have quite a few basic mods that are actually designed into the R/T version, so do your research before you replace your nice Mopar designed 2.25 exhaust with an inferior eBay exhaust, which would probably be an improvement for a regular neon, but might be a downgrade from the R/T exhaust. I was surprised when I popped the intake open and saw a cyllindrical short ram air intake stock from the factory hooked up to a nice improved Mopar intake header... Hope this helps.

P.S. I also happen to drive a 2004 Yellow R/T, just got it as a daily driver and was pleasantly surprised by all the extras it already had.