440 source - PRO BILLET Distributor Mechanical Timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
440 source - PRO BILLET Distributor Mechanical Timing

I have my fresh 440 on the road, it runs good in town but at higher rpms it gets hesitant, but if i take it on the free way and the rpms go up around 65 MPH i get a repeating back fire in the passenger side does it every second or so I even got the Flap in the manifold that opens and closes Tack welded open position thinking it was opening and closing causing back fire cause my driver side doesn't have that flap but the side that has the back fire did but didn't fix the problem.( i run true duel exhaust) and if i go WOT the car sputters acts like its missing or something and makes all kinds of noise it starts doing it soon as i hit 60, gets worse at 65 and does it even at 75 MPH not been higher than that, I think the mechanical part of the timing is off I done research on bending them tabs in the dizzy, But i was wondering what do they set the PRO BILLET Distributor from 440 source mechanical timing at from factory? I dont have a RPM gauge so i cant really take it to 4000 RPM to see what the total timing is, I am running a 440 whiplash cam with 14 degrees BTDC, my car has the push button A727 trans and 4.29 gears

I been messing with air idle screws and the secondary air flap on the carb, and none of that's fixed it.

Any thoughts Or did i give enough information?

I just found this he talked to Pro Comp i guess the 440 source dizzy is Pro Comp PC8007 8000 series dizzy. Does the 29-30 degree mechanical advanced out of the box sound right? if that's right, lets say its 30 + my 14 degree BTDC = 44 degrees total? can that cause my cars symptoms? I am suppsed to be around 35 or 36 total right?
PS: I looked everywhere cant find contact info for pro billet on a site that has the distributor, every site is all off-road suspension parts maybe that's the same phone number?

"OK, here is a follow up. The procomp distrib from 440source is the procomp pc 8007. I finally got a hold of someone at procomp. There is a spring kit you can buy for $6 plus shipping that will have heavier springs to reduce the advance. the thing comes out of the box with 29-30 degree of advance!, I guess for race set ups. The "bending of the tab" thing is not recommended. I have the springs ordered and when I get the kit installed I will report back on how it goes but the whole idea is to help get a smother idle after warmed up with a pretty stout cam which is hard enough to do but with tweaking I hope can be close. It's all part of the "dialing in" process right? lol Wish I had some racers next door lol. Anyway their distribs are not made in china! lmao at least not on the 3rd shift, 1st maybe!"

Last edited by 64Imperial; 11-24-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:31 PM
Mopar Fanatic

UPDATE: I pulled the dizzy apart while still in the car, left my car at 14 degrees BTDC, and the little tabs the springs attach to i bent them in about 1/8 inch on each side twards the other end of the spring and took it for a freeway drive up to 80 MPH no back fire and no spuddering or misfiring, is probably the correct term. I go WOT it still misfires or sputters but its not as bad, tomorrow ill pull it apart and bend them tabs 1/8" more on each side i think that will fix the whole problem the whole car runs like a different car with just that minor adjustment. before i had to have my foot in it a little just to keep it at 75 after that first adjustment i barley touch the gas and it cruises doing 80MPH
Old 11-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
29-30 deg in the dist is like 60 deg total. Way too much Should have about 38 degrees + vacuum. The race dist changes all of that
Old 12-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Update wide open throttle my car still miss fires... i bent the tabs over if i bend them any more the springs will fall off, these billet 440 source dizzys seem to be no good for a street engine, im going to have to buy a MSD dizzy im 99% sure the ones that actually adjust. car runs awesome 80-85 down the free way now though.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Now that I read that, I am wondering if that was from a cam going flat.

By the way, an electronic tach is very cheap, pnly about $40. and very easy to install. It usually gives you an indication how the ignition is working. Erratic reading from the tach usually suggest that something is wrong in the ignition. For example, I have a plug wire issue (recently discovered), and sure enough at high rpm the tach reading goes erratic.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by demetri
Now that I read that, I am wondering if that was from a cam going flat.

By the way, an electronic tach is very cheap, pnly about $40. and very easy to install. It usually gives you an indication how the ignition is working. Erratic reading from the tach usually suggest that something is wrong in the ignition. For example, I have a plug wire issue (recently discovered), and sure enough at high rpm the tach reading goes erratic.
have you tried the Ready-to-Run distributor and high performance coil from ASSAULT RACING, KMJ PERFORMANCE? You won't believe the difference. Take my word for it. They're worth every cent you'll spend on them. I wouldn't even consider MSD or any other brand after using ASSAULT RACING PRODUCTS.