'68 383 no compression all 8 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'68 383 no compression all 8 cyl

hello,

I rebuilt the engine, ran great, then it sat for a few years. Now there is no compression. Valves are all going up and down. I figured it is stuck rings. I poured oil in through the cylinders and let it soak, still no compression. I put my hand on the carburetor and I feel no suction or pressure. Any suggestions other than pulling pistons?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
survey -

No compression in any/all cylinders?
You're not looking at a valve or piston issue, as the odds on all 8 going at the same time is pretty low.

Gotta think head gasket failure or worse.
Slipped timing chain?

Anything else you can see?

Archer
Old 02-01-2018, 09:18 AM

it ran great when I parked it after driving about 40 miles total (2, 20 minute drives) and that was maybe 4 years ago. It was freshly rebuilt. I mean every gasket, hard plug, bearings, rings, gaskets, windage tray, purple cam. Ran fine. now absolutely no compression. Both brand new head gaskets are going to leak into all 8 cylinders now? Without enough compression to suck in a plastic bag over the carb? I don't think so. Surely the rings are all compressed. But ok, I don't know. I admit. I just don't see how the head gaskets are at fault. Cranks fine. Spark's fine. pour gas or spray starter fluid and once in a while it sounds like it gives a little "pop". Ya know. It's just an anomaly I guess. It's surely just me being stupid. Maybe next time (the 400th time I try cranking it) it will probably just run perfectly. Maybe I'll push down a little on the heads and they'll seal. The 70 ft lb of torque per each head stud isn't quite enough to make a seal that I can feel any air movement. Thanks. This helps. I am grateful. I do have a meeting to discuss my insanity with a counselor. I don't understand how I can rebuild engines, and yet not know the simplest things on how they fail. Treat me anyway you like. I deserve it. I am simply asking for some experienced help. Sorry if I was not perfectly clear. Bash me. Flame me. Come to my house and punch me in the face. I deserve it. While you're here, maybe you can tell me what's wrong. Maybe my battery is the wrong color. I don't know. I just know that the advice I was given previously to put Bon-Ami in the cylinders I felt was a little too "last chance" at this time.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Easy There Big Guy !!!!!!!!!! No reason to go getting all up on you heels, and all, We are here to help...
Put a little oil (About 3 or 4 squirts from an oil can) into a couple different cylinders and see if you get any compression?
If you do get a rise in compression? The rings are an issue...
If you do Not get any rise in compression... The valve or valves are all hung open...
Check it out and Keep us posted....
Old 02-01-2018, 02:52 PM
Mopar Lover

survey -

Ah yeah, calm down.
Again, all 8 cylinders going south at once (assuming you did compression tests all all cylinders) makes me think the problem has to be pretty low level.

Bob -

He did oil the cylinders and said he can see the valves (assume rockers) moving.
If I'm reading his info right, either all the rings went bad or the valves ain't opening/closing when they are supposed to. (Timing chain fail.)

Archer
Old 02-01-2018, 03:31 PM

yup. I've tried oil in the cylinders, a couple ounces each. then ATV an ounce each. I've got the valve covers off and all rockers are moving. all valves are going up and down. There was nothing that "happened" to make this stop running. I parked it to do the interior then lost interest. I'm sure the brand new oil i put in when I started trying to get it running needs changed now, because it's going to be over-full with all the "oil in the cylinder trick" attempts. I'm about to go pull all plugs again and check for spark on all cylinders. Perhaps the couple I checked were sparking and maybe i did not check all 8. I just can't recall now, I've tried many things over the past few months. Thanks again. I am sorry I failed at your new solutions. I have not changed the head gasket yet however after getting that order.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:01 AM
Mopar Lover

survey -

Did you actually use a compression tester?

If you didn't, then a lot more (and easier) possibilities open up.

Archer
Old 02-02-2018, 06:14 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
If this sat, the lifter plungers may be stuck and holding the valves open slightly. Taking off the rockers and shafts will give that answer and is easy to do.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
I had a Ford that sat and the intake valves were sticking open ever so slightly.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Iowan
I had a Ford that sat and the intake valves were sticking open ever so slightly.
.... That was where I was headed....
Old 02-02-2018, 06:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Archer
survey -

Ah yeah, calm down.
Again, all 8 cylinders going south at once (assuming you did compression tests all all cylinders) makes me think the problem has to be pretty low level.

Bob -

He did oil the cylinders and said he can see the valves (assume rockers) moving.
If I'm reading his info right, either all the rings went bad or the valves ain't opening/closing when they are supposed to. (Timing chain fail.)

Archer
Just making sure we have the basics covered.. Could be the rings gave up the ghost, but I don't think all 8 at one time. That would be like a 1-in-a-mil.. Highly unlikely! Would you agree? Could be using a bad gauge for testing?
Old 02-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Bob -

Yeah, I'm thinking more along those lines too.
Gotta be something pretty basic.

The lifter thing is more likely, but still at least one would have to go in every cylinder.

Archer
The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try to get a chance this weekend to do some more verifying. Perhaps my friend can bring his camera over and we can look up in the cylinders at the valves and see if they're not quite closing. The lifters are sitting on the cam. So if they're compressed, how do the pushrods push over the rocker arm against the pressure of the springs? The valves are moving up and down a good distance. I'd have to set up a dial guage to see if it is anywhere near full travel, so I don't think it's the lifters. Thanks for the idea that perhaps the valves just are not sealing (corrosion build up because of rust perhaps). If I get a chance I'll do some going around the car with a compression tester, but to me, if there is zero air being sucked into the carb it meant to me that there is zero compression. But perhaps if even the exhaust valves are not quite closing, then there will be no vacuum/compression. It's just odd that there is nothing. not one cylinder firing with spark and starter fluid. but perhaps the air is moving across the intake from an open valves in another cylinder and not pulling through the carb.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Mopar Lover

survey -

Serious vacuum leak?
Something having crawled into the carb/intake?
Ignition system going south, with only occasional spark?

Archer
Old 02-03-2018, 08:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Get someone to help you with a good compression test and get back to us with the findings. I think we can move on after that is complete..
Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Archer
survey -

Serious vacuum leak?
Something having crawled into the carb/intake?
Ignition system going south, with only occasional spark?

Archer

this is where I was about to go. Possibly the vacuum line at the back side of the carb? I know I forgot mine off last year after changing my jets and got the occasional "pop" and a lot of cranking....... just another possibility.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Any updates?