Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Replacement

I own a 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona. Today my car felt like it lost power and then a few seconds late made a clanking sound and the just died. When I opened the hood, the was smoke coming out my air intake filter. Wouldn’t start again. According to the dealer, which is was the closest lace to tow it, it had thrown a rod. According to the it was so bad or some how oil ended up in the radiator and coolant over flow. Now I’m no mechanic so I assume what I’m being told is probably the truth but it is a dealership. They told me I needled a new engine. No way around it. The lowest cost rebuild they offered is about $6400. Not sure if that it straight engine or whether it includes labor. Write up sent to me doesn’t have much of a breakdown. Their high end was $8000+. Both are rebuilt. Any suggesting, experiences or advice would be great before I deal with them on this.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:57 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
I would ask them for a closer estimate on installing a recon engine....
Also.. My recommendation would be to go on line to Jasper Engines and find your local installer. Call and ask them what an estimate would be.
Then you can make a choice to have the dealer do it or tow it over to the other shop. If you even think the car is worth it to you to fix.
With that said, I am guessing from the dicription you gave. That the 5.7 HEMI did the old, Drop the valve seat and killed the rest of the motor. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck keep us posted.... Welcome to the site... Shoot us some pictures...
Old 05-29-2019, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerHog
I am guessing from the dicription you gave. That the 5.7 HEMI did the old, Drop the valve seat and killed the rest of the motor. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck keep us posted.... Welcome to the site... Shoot us some pictures...
You are correct. The dealer said it was a blown rod. This in fact was nothing more than a guess as they never took anything apart. It was actually started, drove into the bay and back to a parking space. I went with your suggestion and called a Jasper installer. Cost estimates were lower but the actual diagnosis was different than that of the dealer. It was a dropped valve seat. Researching showed this as possible problem with these engines as you stated. The value seat ate up the engine. Dealer driving it didn’t help. So, I’m getting a new engine. More cost effective this way over new, $7k vs about $40K+.

Last edited by webbj8150; 05-29-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:37 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Keep us posted on how things go.Went with the New engine instead of the Re-Con engine.. Make sure you look at warranty... Also, when you pick it up make sure you follow the servicing info and keep good records...