Angry FUEL WOES

WHAT A WEEK
last monday i fueled up at a local hess station 89oct
not more than a mile down the road she started missing a lean miss
just imagine.......................... you bleepipin bleeps
just off idle trying to maintain speed she would pop shake and surge
and when i would get on it she would ping and lacked power
well shes just now running right after two refuels and a lot of pulling hair
the fuel smelled weak i suppose fuel injection can compensate but carbs wow..
this is not the first time ive got a tank of bad gas
that's what fouled my last motor you should have seen the deposits on the valves and the pistons she hardly ran well we replaced the old with the new
man i don't need another fouled motor $$$$

MY QUESTION
fuel additives/ethanol
has anyone had this problem and what can be done to combat this situation
Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
It happens with carbs also. Any fuel with 10%-20% ethanol can leave sticky deposits. I just had a check weight in my carb get stucked closed. This did the same stumble/missing effect on my car. Seems if you don't start it every so often this can occur. I am looking at running some Lucus carb/fuel injector cleaner in each tank of gas. Or their Safeguard product.

Lucas Fuel Treatment

Lucas Fuel treatment complies with the federal low sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles and nonroad, locomotive and marine diesel equipment engines.

A powerful blend of oils and additives that contain no SOLVENTS. Designed to increase power and fuel mileage and also lower exhaust emissions through a more complete combustion.
Lucas Fuel Treatment is formulated for both gasoline and diesel engines, carbureted or fuel injected. It gives your fuel system what it really needs - a blend of super slick oils and additives with a high detergent action that allows the engine to operate at maximum efficiency. Also, it cleans and lubricates the carburetor and injectors and causes the fuel to burn more thoroughly for increased power and less fuel consumption. Lucas Fuel Treatment should definitely be used in vehicles that require leaded fuel because it actually replaces the benefits of lead in gasoline without causing harmful emissions. Use it to pass smog tests. Finally, it totally neutralizes the harmful effects of low sulfur diesel fuel.

Key Benefits

● A great tune-up in a bottle
● Cleans and lubricates the fuel system
● Neutralizes low sulfur fuel problems
● Increases power and miles per gallon by burning excess exhaust emissions
● Increases the life of pumps and injectors

Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers

Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers was developed to specifically address issues associated with using ethanol based fuels. This applies to E-10, E-15, E-85, pure ethanol and any mixtures in between including gasoline. Our Product is completely soluble in all ethanol fuels and will not harm filters. Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers contains effective additives to prevent rust and corrosion associated with the use of ethanol fuels.
Safeguard™ Key Benefits:
• Cleans injectors, valve seats, combustion chambers and other critical fuel components

• Stabilizes fuel and prevents varnish & gum formation in ethanol and gasoline

• Combats deposits and protects your engine oil lubricants from the harmful effects of alcohol combustionSafeguard™ treats up to 80 gallons(302.8) of ethanol fuel. One ounce treats five gallons of ethanol fuel. Our new 5.25 oz bottle treats up to 25 gallons (94.6 liters) of ethanol fuel. Recommended for use in automobile and marine applications.
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR DIESEL APPLICATIONS

Last edited by bremereric; 08-15-2012 at 08:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gorts 5th (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Question

i will try it how will that work on a tank of bad gas
has anybody ever use other additives for power oct gain
like TIPPING THE CAN old school racers used to add nitro methane to the fuel

here is another thing i ve noticed about fuel i mainly try to use one station or brand of fuel sunoco
89 oct is the min i run 90 % of the time, and i notice a underlining smell like diesel fuel has been added to the mix
this smell has contaminated the rods ive used with the carb edelbrock avs 650
has enyone herd of this practice or am i jst smelling detergent i don't know but im suspicious i wonder if its used to raise the octane of the fuel
Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Sounds like just a crappy tank of gas. I would guess that sense the octane rating listed was the 'same' you may have filled right after the tanker had dropped a load or while one was doing so. I NEVER will fuel while that is taking place... it "stirs" the pot so to speak and causes the trapped moisture junk/dirt crap to be pumped easily into your tank.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorts 5th
i will try it how will that work on a tank of bad gas
has anybody ever use other additives for power oct gain
like TIPPING THE CAN old school racers used to add nitro methane to the fuel

here is another thing i ve noticed about fuel i mainly try to use one station or brand of fuel sunoco
89 oct is the min i run 90 % of the time, and i notice a underlining smell like diesel fuel has been added to the mix
this smell has contaminated the rods ive used with the carb edelbrock avs 650
has enyone herd of this practice or am i jst smelling detergent i don't know but im suspicious i wonder if its used to raise the octane of the fuel
I run Lucas Octane booster with my 440 Dart. I read a report of 5 of the top sellers and Lucas was the only one that really did anything. You could also try a gallon of racing fuel to 5 gallons of gas. That sould pep her up a bit.