More 383 high jinks :-)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
More 383 high jinks :-)

Ok well, I might as well add to the 383 deluge........the problem is when the 383 in my 70' Chrysler is dead stone cold, I have to crank, and crank, and crank, and crank, and crank, and crank until it fires up. After about 5 mins of this it will get to the point where it sounds like its trying to turn over if I keep the pedal mashed to the floor, it will THEN FINALLY turn over to start up.....(but wait there's more)........then it will behave as if the fuel pump is stalling and starting abruptly, stalls then starts, then until finally she smooths out into a nice idle. I've watched the tach jump up to 3 grand once while this was occurring WITHOUT my pushing the pedal down that far. After this saga, there are no problems all day, in fact it NEVER does this when the engine is hot, only when it is dead cold from sitting over night. This is ironically funny as I just put an end to a nagging vapor lock problem where she would not start when hot, but would flip right over when stone cold. Yes, this is my life.

Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
Gorts 5th (08-14-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Well what did you do to end the vapor lock issue? Perhaps they're related.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:04 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Mr.4spd
Well what did you do to end the vapor lock issue? Perhaps they're related.
Yea, I put an end to boiling gas with a spacer under my Edelbrock AVS, plus a rerouting the fuel line. Vapor lock went away instantly. So now it's the other way around. I've been wondering if perhaps its an issue with the choke (automatic) not working properly.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 AM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
I would certainly trouble shoot the E choke next. And make sure your timing correct.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
It also sounds as if your carb/fuel pump maybe 'leaking' off... A little bit of debris or just a non seating float valve and weak fp can cause it to siphon the gas back to the tank, in doing so then it has to refill the lines and carb again. It is strange tho that it never does it after first start. But to check the condition i suggested before you ever crank the car for the first time in the day, pull the aircleaner and operate the carb and look for a STEADY stream of gas when 'pumped'. If it has a good stream of gas then that is NOT your problem. If no stream of gas I would first run a pressure check on the fuel pump. it should hold the pressure for quite a long time, if it doesnt try a new pump, but also dont forget that the carb may have a small issue also. If you do have a stream of gas see if you can manually set the choke on the carb and without touching the gas pedal try to start it... That will let you know IF the choke is the actual problem. But it would be better to have it working properly.

Last edited by MrOldart2U; 06-19-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by MrOldart2U
It also sounds as if your carb/fuel pump maybe 'leaking' off... A little bit of debris or just a non seating float valve and weak fp can cause it to siphon the gas back to the tank, in doing so then it has to refill the lines and carb again. It is strange tho that it never does it after first start. But to check the condition i suggested before you ever crank the car for the first time in the day, pull the aircleaner and operate the carb and look for a STEADY stream of gas when 'pumped'. If it has a good stream of gas then that is NOT your problem. If no stream of gas I would first run a pressure check on the fuel pump. it should hold the pressure for quite a long time, if it doesnt try a new pump, but also dont forget that the carb may have a small issue also. If you do have a stream of gas see if you can manually set the choke on the carb and without touching the gas pedal try to start it... That will let you know IF the choke is the actual problem. But it would be better to have it working properly.
I just swapped out the old pump for a brand new piece maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. The car was on its original pump, so I figured it would not hurt to replace it with a fresh one. I have a fuel pressure gauge between the pump and the carb, it shows holding just a hair under 6psi, constant. Next, I checked the fuel "shot" in the carb, well what do ya know......it works but the stream seems kind of weak compared to a carter AVS I had on another car. The fuel stream in the carter shot out like a jet stream...this one seems very weak.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by theFUSELAGE KING
I just swapped out the old pump for a brand new piece maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. The car was on its original pump, so I figured it would not hurt to replace it with a fresh one. I have a fuel pressure gauge between the pump and the carb, it shows holding just a hair under 6psi, constant. Next, I checked the fuel "shot" in the carb, well what do ya know......it works but the stream seems kind of weak compared to a carter AVS I had on another car. The fuel stream in the carter shot out like a jet stream...this one seems very weak.
I would suspect the acc pump then... I cant remember how hard they are to change on those carbs, but would suspect that thats PART of the problem along with maybe the choke not working properly.....

But also as PK stated make sure your timing is correct...
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by MrOldart2U
I would suspect the acc pump then... I cant remember how hard they are to change on those carbs, but would suspect that thats PART of the problem along with maybe the choke not working properly.....

But also as PK stated make sure your timing is correct...
Yea, timing I'll check it out, I think it should be o.k. but I know what your getting at. I have another ebrock carb in a spare parts cabinet, I'll try that before trying to disassemble the one on the car. I'll post the results.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Mopar Fan

So I put a new (rebuilt) e-brock carb on...650cfm AVS model...put that atop a spacer. That solved the vapor lock immediately....BUT (and this is so not funny) now I can't get the car to start after its cooled down. Ex. Park it over night next and it cools off by morning time I have to sit and crank it for like 10-15mins before it finally catches.

On another board someone mentioned something about fuel leaking out of the carb bowl and down the fuel line? Any credence to this?? This is too freaking funny I just gotta laugh at this point. Can't win either way.

UGH!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Befor you start it cold next time, take off the aiir cleaner and set the choke by hand. If it starts you have the problem solved. You kindas gotta go at it one thing at a time. Being it runs fine when warm, I am leaning towards the choke, for now.
You probably have to crank it so much, because with the choke open you are getting a lot of air and it is gonna need a lot of gas. Maybe try to pour a little gas down the carb when you try a cold start. One more thing, try to stop cranking it so much, you are doing harm to the starter and charging system.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Try pumping it 5 times, see if that helps. You are either too lean or too rich on a cold start. I lean toward the too lean idea. So pump it, or pour a little gas in the carb. If it starts, then dies out then you are too lean.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
ive had a hell of a wk with fuel
my old motor had those same symptoms holley 600 vac sec. i would check the carb throat for fuel / accel pump used manual choke had fuel but the fuel smelled weak i would pull the plugs ..flooded adjusted my i tryed every combo.. of starting procedure less fuel i didnt pump it as much still hard starting but once running shes fine

new motor. edlebrock avs 650 found little to no fuel prime starts fine
but it hasn't been normally cold hear

which brings me to my conclusion that this fuel is GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!
fuel injection can compensate but carbs wow
last monday i fueled up at a local hess station 89 oct and with-in a mile she started missing a lean miss man jst imagine................................... you bleepinn bleeps
well this was last monday my baby is jst now as of yesterday running right
this is what fouled my last motor you should have seen the deposits left behind

we need to start a discussion on this fuel issue i cant afford to foul out my motor because of fuel additives/ethanol

Last edited by Gorts 5th; 08-14-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Did you check your fuel pump pushrod for wear when you changed the pump? Limited stroke will make fuel bowl filling slow.