switching from carb to fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
switching from carb to fuel injection

I got a 1978 Dodge Power Wagon and I'm only curious if it's possible to go from a carburetor to a fuel injection. I'm only curious mostly cause i want to keep the truck but at the same time save gas. The truck is like my baby.

So if you have any advice on how to switch from carb to fuel injection or if it's even possible let me know. thank you.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Holley makes a real nice setup now. People complain that it is expensive and it is. Comes with everything you need. Even the self teaching computer you need to run it. Looks like the most easiest plug and play setup there is. M2C

Ask RickyR about it.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I think you need to ask yourself "is this really worth it?" I considered swapping in a 5.2/ 5.9 into my Dart, with factory multiport system, but later thought, "just how much" am I really going to drive that car?

It will cost you a real chunk of change for FI, and you may only gain 1 or 2 mpg over a PROPERLY tuned carb engine, and THAT is assuming you have the resources to properly set up the system.

What happens if that 78 gets stacked up? Even if it's "the other guy's fault" the insurance co is not gonna kick in a coupla 'thou for your special EFI system.

Just playin' the advocate here. Just some things to ponder.

I'd LOVE to have an old classic with EFI, but I figure I USED to know how to make a carb work---and maybe I still do.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Big dollars but the throttle response is crisp and clean...they have a real good video on their website you should check it out before you poo poo it.
Attached Thumbnails switching from carb to fuel injection-largeavenger4bbltbi.jpg  
Old 11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very possible, pretty easy, not so cheap. You probably wont see the mileage gains you are thinking of, but the starting and driveabilty woud be greatly improved. I am not scared by it. Figure a budget of $2000. It can be done cheaper, but you would really have to want to do some leg-work, and have a few computer skills, and tune it with your laptop. But you may consider a Magnum engine swap! But that will still require an aftermarket computer [$], or alot of learning on your part. There may even be some Magnum-motor swaps out there that I dont know about, using the factory computer and injection. Dont stop looking!

Last edited by scotts74birds; 11-18-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:00 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
Can be done. I have done a lot on old ford car with new 5.0L mustang factory fuel injection, some Chevy swaps with the tuned port stuff from IROCs to old camaros and a some 5.9L magnum swaps. I didn't think it was difficult. and Im not a big tech guy. All of the dodge wires are color coded and schematics are available. Im helping a buddy with a LS Swap to an old caprice now.

If this rig is your "baby" I would strongly recommend finding a wrecked dakota / durango or van. We use to buy crashed and totaled mustangs that were "salvage"title only for 500 bucks. Its the little pieces, sensors and wires that drive up the cost. So having the donor car on site made life easy. Look for the van or SLT+ Durango with the 46re and maybe that can be used with the Power Wagon drive train? Dont know off hand but anythings possible. It would be cool to have the overdrive and fuel injection.

I had an old F100 stepside that was my "baby" and I did 5.0L conversion with a 4 speed toploader tranny and the truck was awesome. Fast, idled well, started in the cold weather. I loved it..

If you do it document it and post. Following that build would be cool to watch....

Good Luck!