What power steering pump in 70 cuda?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What power steering pump in 70 cuda?

I have a 1970 cuda with a 383. My power steering pump leaks and the mounting bracket is bent so Im going to bite the bullet and replace everything. Does anyone know if the 1970 used only 1 pump and if so which 1?
Old 12-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Hello

Looking up your vehicle on napa, oreilly and rockauto. It appears to use a Saginaw pump or at least that's whats being sold for that vehicle application now days. I use the same pump on my 77 dodge trucks although their equipped with small blocks.

There are two pump options. The standard "canned ham" reservoir and the "long filler neck" round reservoir. Which one you pick may depend on your bracket, i'm not sure.

This would probably be a good time to replace your high pressure and return lines as well.

Depending on how your bracket is bent you may be able to fix it. Maybe with a bench vise, hammer and maybe a torch to heat it, etc.

I have no experience working on the big block engines but, if their anything like the small blocks, your brackets may be held on by the water pump/timing cover bolts. These bolts thread into the water jackets of the block. They will have to be reseal with a thread sealant of some kind like teflon thread tape. You'll know for sure when you go to remove them.

You may also need a "PS pulley removal tool" if the pulley is stuck on the shaft. You may be able to borrow one through the tool loan program of your local auto part store. Access to an impact wrench to get the pulley nut off wouldn't hurt either.

Hope you find this helpful

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/p...ring+pump,7380

Last edited by dodgem880; 12-03-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgem880
Hello

Looking up your vehicle on napa, oreilly and rockauto. It appears to use a Saginaw pump or at least that's whats being sold for that vehicle application now days. I use the same pump on my 77 dodge trucks although their equipped with small blocks.

There are two pump options. The standard "canned ham" reservoir and the "long filler neck" round reservoir. Which one you pick may depend on your bracket, i'm not sure.

This would probably be a good time to replace your high pressure and return lines as well.

Depending on how your bracket is bent you may be able to fix it. Maybe with a bench vise, hammer and maybe a torch to heat it, etc.

I have no experience working on the big block engines but, if their anything like the small blocks, your brackets may be held on by the water pump/timing cover bolts. These bolts thread into the water jackets of the block. They will have to be reseal with a thread sealant of some kind like teflon thread tape. You'll know for sure when you go to remove them.

You may also need a "PS pulley removal tool" if the pulley is stuck on the shaft. You may be able to borrow one through the tool loan program of your local auto part store. Access to an impact wrench to get the pulley nut off wouldn't hurt either.

Hope you find this helpful

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/p...ring+pump,7380

Thank you for the ideas and the info. A guy on my other thread got me the rebuild kit part # and I got it ordered. Good idea about trying to straighten out the bracket, I will give it a try, nothing to loose. Its way to bent to be running for my piece of mind although having said that Ive probably put 1000 miles on it as is seeing I never noticed it till I found the leak.