HELP ME! SHIFTY DECISIONS

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
HELP ME! SHIFTY DECISIONS

I am looking to eliminate my stock column shifter(70 coronet), have looked around at all the options from hurst b&m ect... but am looking for some input, my cars interior is not modified and I like the stock look within reason. I have the bench seat in the car and am afraid I will be leaning over to reach the shifter, or it wont fit right with the bench seat, manula valve body-reverse manual valve body?? ect... any input-pictures greatly appreciated!- I know very little about this
Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
A nice shift kit will do wonders. DON'T go full manual unless you are planning a race car..
I had a B&M shifter in a Coronet worked fine. If you need to ? make a small base to raise the shifter up
Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Most aftermarket auto shifters will work for you, and will include pretty much everything you need.
You will need to drill a hole (not a big hole) thru your trans tunnel to route the cable to your trans. Other than that, no big deal, you don't have to hack or cut your interior up.
Sit in your seat, normal driving position and place the shifter where it works best for you and screw it down. It will more than likely do-away with having a passenger in the center seat and do some research before you buy, because some shifters come with a base that raises the shifter for a more comfortable position.
As far as reverse/forward valve bodies, which do you prefer?
Keep in mind; not all shifters will work for both patterns, so know before you buy.
The following users liked this post:
70Coronet (02-11-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
These are reknowned as the best on the planet, but may be a bit pricey and may not fit your bench seat application?

http://www.precisionperformance.com/home.htm
Attached Thumbnails HELP ME! SHIFTY DECISIONS-ks2.jpg   HELP ME! SHIFTY DECISIONS-ks1_small.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by TVLynn
A nice shift kit will do wonders. DON'T go full manual unless you are planning a race car..
I had a B&M shifter in a Coronet worked fine. If you need to ? make a small base to raise the shifter up
I have a column shift and would like to go to the floor with it.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Drag Pak
These are reknowned as the best on the planet, but may be a bit pricey and may not fit your bench seat application?

http://www.precisionperformance.com/home.htm
These look very cool and all the reviews sound great but as dumb as it sounds they are a little to much in the looks department for me.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Does anyone have a picture of one they have in there car with the bench seat??? any specific suggestions on shifters. Thanks for all the info!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
I put the Hurst promatic 2 shifter in my Duster I had a B&M Shifter that was a pain to shift...Snakeater has a Video on hear for Hurst promatic 2 shifter on here Ill see if I can find it and I will reply to it and bring it out of the arcives unless snake has it he can share it again...Bill It is a post about Kilduff lighting rod shifters in that post is a ride with Snake in his Road Runner...

Last edited by pro-tech; 02-11-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
If I had a bench I would look at a carpeted pedestal/covering to hide it as much as possible regardless of what type of shifter then get a Hurst non console, or equivalent style shifter handle.

Found this with measurements.

http://hurst-shifters.com/wp-content...ickDiagram.pdf