85 Dodge d100 Cab Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Dodge d100 Cab Swap

Currently in the process of a rebuild of a 85 D100, and im swapping out cabs. The original cab was completly shot no floor left at all!. I got a 90 D150 cab, fits nicely with only one problem. The replacement cab is a low hump and was an automatic...the original was a high hump manual. Wondering if anyone has done this swap before and if you had to construct a custom tunnel for the tranz linkage. Or if there is anyplace that has the tunnel mounts, i have been unsuccessful in finding any. If i can get away with just cutting a section on the floor for the shifter id rather do that. And modify the shifter linkage cover to fit...any help is much appreciated!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:39 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Hello

I've never done a cab swap but, I've done floor repairs using aftermarket panels. I learned something... they don't fit quite right.. At least for my application. You have to make them work. Cut, bend, weld, etc. Do what you gotta do to make it work, just make sure it's safe.

Your doing custom work by mixing parts from different year trucks that had different equipment (automatic vs standard). You'll have to make it work.

Without visual aid I'm not sure exactly what you've got going on but, it sounds like you need to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter? Or if that section of the floor is also too low you'll have to raise it some how?

Is the hump in the original cab a removable dog house? Maybe you could repair whats left of it or use it as a template to fab something similar and put it in the new cab.

When I did my floor I had to repair my dog house.

Hopeful other members will chime in soon with more useful info soon.

Last edited by dodgem880; 01-15-2018 at 12:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bromat (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 01:41 PM

Heres a picture of the old and new. The old cab floor was to far gone in my opinion. Didnt really want to go in with new floor pieces because the rust had progressed to much and honestly didnt want the headache. Considering i got the new cab as a throw in for buying the truck i think it was the right move lol. I think i could cut out a floor section and modify it to fit the shifter boot, although i dont have the linkage attached, but it looks as if i have just enough room for everything to work properly and still have room to do any repairs if needed. Just want to know if anyone else has ran into this and the route they took. This is my first remodel so learning as i go
Old 01-15-2018, 03:56 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Yeah.. that old cab looks pretty bad.

Other than the humps, the floor stamps look the same in both cabs. I wonder if you could obtain a replacement hump that wasn't all rusted out if it would fit right?

The hump would have to be from another truck. I tried looking on Goodmark and LMC Truck. You can get the floor pans where your feet go, but not the hump.

Hopefully someone else here can offer you some more advice soon.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:20 PM

Oh yea everything lines up perfectly. Yea iv looked all over and havnt had any luck finding a replacement hump. Tried calling LMC to see if they had or knew of any company making/selling any. No luck there. I think im going to just cut a hole big enough to run the shifter thru to see if the linkage has enough room to do its job...then try and fab something to go around it...