Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Problem

Please forgive me if I am not using the right forum as I just joined. But I am having a problem which I think has a simple solution, but one I can't seem to find. Here's the deal:

I have a 1966 Dart 270 wagon. A few weeks ago t he tail lights, the brake lights and the dash lights all stopped working at the same time. I tried checking fuses but that didn't work. I am also disabled and so can't really get under the dash for long. I was thinking it could maybe be the blinker module. But I would like to get ,ore input before I try to get under the dash again. As I said, I am disabled and this car is my link to the outside....

Thank You,

- Robb

Thanks
Old 10-06-2023, 10:44 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Hello

I'm not sure on the dashlights yet, However, The turn signal switch itself handles the brake and directional signals lamps but not the parking lamps.

Are the taillights completely dead?

For example whats happens when you try the following?
  • Press the brake pedal.
  • Turn on the parking lamps.
  • Turn on the turn signals (With Key on, Engine Off)

How did you check the fuses? Even when the fuses are good sometimes the holder contacts can corrode over time from humidity.

I like to use a test light with the clip side connected to a good ground. I then touch the probe end to both sides of the fuse. With the circuit switched on, the light should light up on both sides of the fuse.

Last edited by dodgem880; 10-06-2023 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 05:46 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Follow Dodgem 880 steps first. I changed many turn signal harnesses on Dodge vehicles in the day doing just what you're complaining about. The harness connects just below your knee on the steering column. You could check that first for connection, continuity and even plug in the new harness without pulling the wheel apart to see if it fixed the problem.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response. I talked to my friend who is working on my car [I'm disabled these days, but he has worked on my cars for a few decade, Which were mostly old Dodges and such].

To answer your questions:

1] When the brake pedal is pressed, nothing happens. Even if the car is on, running, or off, the brake lights do not come on.

2] When the parking/running lights are turned on, nothing happens. The lights do not go on.

3] It turns out that I was wrong about the turn signals. Apparently they do work.

4] That leaves the dash lights. Which, though I'd love to have them work, are not as important as having the running lights and brake lights work.

Thanks Again,

- Robb

Originally Posted by dodgem880
Hello

I'm not sure on the dashlights yet, However, The turn signal switch itself handles the brake and directional signals lamps but not the parking lamps.

Are the taillights completely dead?

For example whats happens when you try the following?
  • Press the brake pedal.
  • Turn on the parking lamps.
  • Turn on the turn signals (With Key on, Engine Off)

How did you check the fuses? Even when the fuses are good sometimes the holder contacts can corrode over time from humidity.

I like to use a test light with the clip side connected to a good ground. I then touch the probe end to both sides of the fuse. With the circuit switched on, the light should light up on both sides of the fuse.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:11 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Interesting.

Do the headlights and front parking lamps work? I ask because power for the dash lights and parking lamps come from the same place which is the head light switch.

As for the brake lamps that is a different bulb filament and circuit entirely. I would use a test light to check for power entering and leaving the stop switch. One side should have power at all times and the other side only when the brake pedal is pressed.

I would also double check the following fuses.
  • 4A "INSTR LPS" ← This one should only have power when the parking lamps are on
  • 20A "TAIL STOP DOME"
Old 10-08-2023, 06:50 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm quite certain the problem is in the turn signal assembly. I've seen and replaced many for just this reason.