A few wiring issues in my 67 new yorker

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few wiring issues in my 67 new yorker

Hi im new here , i live in New zealand and own a 67 new yorker with a 440 in it and a 727 column shift, still left hand drive, at some stage it has had a crash in the rear and the new yorker lights has been replaced with New port lights and housings, and someone has butchered the wiring and cut lots of stuff, after following the wiring diagram in the service manual i have got most of it soughted out but a few things i cant get right.

1.I noticed they had ran a seperate wire from the brake switch to the rear and the original one is sitting there unplugged, when i plug the original in the brown passenger side indicator wire comes on when the brake is pushed and when the indicator is activated it cancels out the brake and flashes which im sure is how its meant to be, the drivers side indicator (dark green) will flash with indiactor but not brake so i traced it back and noticed at the turn signal connector the dark green wire had been joined to the light green wire, when i reconnected it to the dark green wire (how it should be) neither the indicator or brake goes through to the rear drivers indicator, for now im running the seperate brake wire and rejoined the dark green wire to the light green wire but i would like to get it back to original, ive traced everything i can with the rear drivers indicator/brake wire and everything seems where it should be , even checked the turn signal and all looked good, suggestion?

2.The backup lights dont work, the plug for it is just dangling there (white and a violet wire with the original plug) i can not find where this plugs into there is not much on it in the service manual it just says "to the backup switch", i have had a quick look for the backup switch on the steering column but cant find it, where should it be and how do i get to it? in saying that the back up switch plug will only reach to the very bottom of the steering column, in the service manual it says the back up switch operating lever must be replaced if removed, im wondering if they had tampered with this and broken it? i have looked really hard but can not find any where to plug this plug that is meant to go to the back up switch.

3.the Violet wire coming from the fuse box is not connected to anything on the wiring diagram it just shows an arrow and says console feed, so not sure where that is meant to connect to, and the flasher switch doesnt work, everything seems to be plugged into the right place but wont work, also noticed that the main connection to the turn signal switch has a few wires in the wiring loom side of connection but nothing meeting them on the steering column side of the connection but the wires going up the column are wrapped in a factory tape which doesnt look tampered with so i gathered the extra wires were for options my car didnt have?

4.I am slowly going through replacing stuff and am looking at a new alternator, the one i was looking at is a powermaster 75amp , it is external regulator style but has 2 field wires , the current one only has one and the regulator is not original, if i buy the 75amp powermaster do i just ground one of the field wires? should i replace the regulator and should i run a bigger wire from the alternator to the regulator?

Sorry for the huge post, hope someone can help , its very hard finding good help with mopars where i live

Last edited by peterlucas; 05-15-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
!!BOY!! You've got some issues.

1--Signals/ brakes. Either you still have wires crossed in the chopped harness, or a bad column switch, or problems with the 4x flasher switch. All Chrysler switches of this era worked pretty much the same, and used pretty much the same wire colors

So in general here is what you have

INTO the switch is

(red) signal flasher power coming from the signal flasher

(white) Brake light switched power from the brake light switch

Coming OUT of the switch is

(light green) left front signal and panel indicator

(tan) right front signal and panel indicator

(dark green) left rear brake/ signal bulb

(brown) right rear brake/ signal bulb

Now the 4x flasher can screw things up. This switch has 4 terminals, none of which are interconnected, until the switch is "on" at which time ALL terminals are connected together.

This switch has 4x flasher power coming IN

The other three terminals go to

left front signal line

right front signal line

the brake switch line going into the signal switch.

So when the 4x flasher switch is on, it feeds flashing power to the left and right front, and to the brake light switch line which in turn feeds power through the (centered) turn signal switch to each of the brake lights
Old 05-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Mopar Lover

2--Backup. You have found the harness connector. Jumpering across that connector should cause the backup lamps to work. The switch should be on the column shifter somewhere. Can't help you more than that.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:49 AM
Mopar Lover

4--alternator. Be careful here putting a Great Big alternator on that old girl. First, read this article, which affects ALL of these old girls.

This is in fact THE defacto article which describes the pitfalls and problems of old wiring in these old cars

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...p-gauges.shtml

In addition, the bulkhead connector feeding the headlights, as well as connectors and switches themselves can cause problems.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
might be a stupid question but would having the factory temp gauge plug unplugged at the engine effect anything?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Mopar Lover

No, except of course the temp gauge won't work