Need Dash Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Dash Light Help

I just finished plugging in my gauge cluster and it didn't work with the cluster on the floor so I was guessing maybe the orange wires would work if it was screwed in(Maybe the case grounded it to the dash frame, I don't know what I was thinking). So I install the cluster and still nada. Anyone have any idea what is going on? It worked with the old harness and now with the new year one it doesn't. I haven't modded the new one except for splicing the ammeter's red and black cable together and removing the cable from the bulkhead connector and through the firewall. I am baffled right now. The head lights work and all that, just no gauge cluster. Only the orange wires because the high beam one works along with the turn signal ones. Maybe a certain plug needs to be plugged in?(The old harness has splices everywhere so it is impossible to follow).
Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
OK the orange wire(s) is a bit of a trick, here's how that works

The headlight switch has two power sources, one for the headlights ONLY which we are not concerned about

The tail/ park and dash light power TO the switch comes from the tail fuse. You know that's good, right? Because the park/ tail lights work.

That power feeds the DASH LIGHT DIMMER, so the dimmer could be bad, easy to check...........................

The dash light power comes OUT of the dimmer control on brown/ tan, and only goes one place -- to the small 'inst' fuse at one end of your fuse panel.

Through the fuse, and "out" to all dash lamps on orange

So EASY!!!!

Turn the park lights on, verify you have park / tail lamps.

Turn the dimmer control all the way to "bright" (to the left, just before the thing clicks to turn on the dome)

Watching the dash lamps, wiggle the dimmer control ----they get dirty.

Now go down to the fuse panel and check for power at both ends of the fuse. If you have no power at either end, you are not getting power TO the fuse FROM the dahs dimmer, either bad wire or bad dimmer control

If you have power at one end,..........obviously bad fuse or poor fuse connection
Old 07-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had power at the black and yellow cable going into the switch, about 8 VDC and none at the tan so I am going to go with some how the switch got messed up between pulling it out the cluster and putting it back in. I tried to jump the black and yellow to the tan wire and all that happened was the oil pressure gauge went as far as it could to the right, no lights turned on. Any reason why? would I have to cross all three to test the lights (There is a dual yellow which I figure is for the dimming part, a tan which goes to the fuse box, and a yellow and a black which has the 8 V). Thanks for the help, I am still trying to figure this out.