PT Cruiser TIPM reset

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PT Cruiser TIPM reset

Just a tip for PT Cruiser owners, or other models that have a TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). It looks like an ordinary fuse box under the hood, but it you take one apart it is a myriad of transistors, resistors, chips, you name it. This thing controls the entire vehicle electrical system. Anyway, I had a code P0700 and P0882 and the trans would only work in reverse, and 2nd gear, no upshift, downshift, nothing. Did some research on the net and found P0700 is just a generic code letting you know something is wrong at the TIPM, P0882 is low voltage at the TIPM. First I found that the heavy wire from the TIPM (12V feed) was loose at the battery connection. Tightened it, but still got the code. Checked the wire to the TIPM, had batt voltage, and no V drop. Did more research which told me to disconnect both battery cables, and tie the together so they contact, then remove the TIPM, clean the contacts, and add a light coating of di-electric grease. Leave the batt cables tied together for several hours or overnight. This apparently de-energizes (if that's the right word) all the electronics. I did all of this, I sprayed electrical cleaner on the contacts and harness plugs, then applied just a tiny dab of di-electric grease to the plugs and worked it into the terminals with my finger, and wiped off the excess. The large power feed to the TIPM is bolted on. I removed it and noticed a light grayish white film on it. At first I didn't think anything about it, thought it was the natural color of the cable end, but later decided to see if it scraped off, which it did, leaving a nice shiny mating surface. I did the same thing to the contact on the TIPM. I left the cables connected together overnight and this morning, reconnected battery and drove it. It now shifts through all gears nice and smooth. It did stumble on me once and all the gear shift indicator lights came on, but it only lasted a second, and it is again running fine, although I haven't driven it a lot yet. I think the stumble and lights is due to the battery which is pretty much on its last leg, and I was going to replace it anyhow. SO, before you buy a TIPM or Transmission Controller, try this trick first. Not exactly sure which thing or combination of things did the trick, but it worked.
The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (11-30-2023)
Old 01-01-2024, 01:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What a clear cut, knowledgeable, no time wasted, perfect video. Thanks for the info. I'd like to have u shoot and edit everything I watch on TV.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

Last edited by bdasyds; 01-01-2024 at 06:44 AM.