Starter failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starter failure

Guys... I just completed a Magnum engine swap on my 86 W250. The starter off the magnum motor worked flawlessly when I pulled it... I even used it on the old LA 360 for a while first. Now I have the Magnum in and almost all buttoned up, I was going to try to turn it over just for fun and all I got was a solenoid click. Now I know all too well what that one click typically means (starter motor going bad) but I mean it was literally flawless function when removed. It sat on my shop table for 3 months and then I reinstalled it and bam... it no worky. So I guess my question is before I go trading it in for a core charge on a new are there some possibilities? I had the thought that perhaps it was a ground issue? I didn't really pay attention to where the ground was bolted to the Magnum before removal. Will any bolt hole do or does it need to be specifically grounded to the block itself (not with an accessory bolt) I think the spot I chose actually bolts through the aluminum accessory bracket into the heads. I used my handy multimeter and I have a solid 12.3v potential at the starter. Anyway just trying to avoid pulling starter and having it tested unnecessarily. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Is the Battery fully charged??? starter dont just go bad sitting on the bench...Check all the wires + & -...You could try tapping on the starter but you didnt hear that from me...Be gentle and only as a last resort....You can ruin the starter by hitting it because of the ceramic magnets in them...Keep Us posted...Bill
Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by pro-tech
Is the Battery fully charged??? starter dont just go bad sitting on the bench...Check all the wires + & -...You could try tapping on the starter but you didnt hear that from me...Be gentle and only as a last resort....You can ruin the starter by hitting it because of the ceramic magnets in them...Keep Us posted...Bill
I had the battery thought initially as well... I checked the voltage and it was in the 12.6-12.8 range so I went ahead and put the Jump box on it with no change. I did try tapping (shhhhh) but to no avail. Going to try to do some additional grounding possibly running batt negative to block and then a ground strap from block to bell housing bolt. Probably check resistance on negative battery cable as well.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Will the engine turn by hand? Starter could be fine and something else is bound up. Also, could be a poor connection in the power supply wire to the starter feed (not the solenoid).
Old 03-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Jump the connections at the starter, see if it works
Old 03-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Mopar Fanatic

First I bench tested the starter with a jump box and some creative thinking. I found that there was so much build up on the face of the starter it wasn't making good connection. Cleaned surface with a wire wheel, put her back on replaced the ground wire because it was suspect anyway and she turned right over. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Got me thinking and got it resolved!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Did I win?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.4spd
Glad you got it fixed. Did I win?
NO you were saying feed wire...I have never heard of the face of the stater being dirty causing that....I would think as you tighten the bolts it would make a ground unless the star washers are missing...BillGLAD YOU GOT IT FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by pro-tech
NO you were saying feed wire...I have never heard of the face of the stater being dirty causing that....I would think as you tighten the bolts it would make a ground unless the star washers are missing...BillGLAD YOU GOT IT FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trust me it blew my mind too... yes the washers with the teeth are missing.