74 Duster Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 74 Duster Suspension

I'm in the process of buying a 6 cylinder automatic Duster from a buddy.
Before I decide exactly where to dump the 6, I want to address the original everything else.
Any intelligent suggestions as to the best choices for front and rear suspension? I'm not planning on a corner carver or track machine but I know everything is stock, so a lot must go.
I plan to be able to go very fast in a straight line and not roll over or lose a lot of speed when the road turns. I may have two sets of tires and wheels, low profile stuff and well as Draglites with littles and bigs.
I just read an article in Car Craft about a Hotchkis set-up in an early A-body, anyone with their own experience? A stiff or very stiff ride is fine, I'm out to beat it up for fun, not wow people with a soft and supple ride.
I know a small amount about torsion bars. My previous Mustangs had no such set up.
Thanks for any advice, everyone.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either it turns or it goes straight. Pick one. Anything else is a compromise. If it has decent weight transfer and drag races well it will not handle great. If you set it up to handle well you will not get weight transfer to drag race. If you try to go both ways it will not do either one very well.

Go ahead argue all you want. Tell me about all the cars you have seen in magazines and on TV shows. It is just physics.

My dart hooks so good it will pull the front wheels off the ground on a dirt road (Just kidding but it does hook well) and it is decent enough for cruising. We built a track car for "One lap of America" (the old cannonball run) and did very well. That was a Dart and it cornered better than my Viper, but would do nothing but spin the tires trying to launch the car for drag racing.

Do yourself a favor and be honest with yourself as to what you really really want the car to do before you start, then follow that theme all the way through. You'll have a car that you love when you are done. Good luck.

Last edited by Crazy4Carz.Com; 05-13-2010 at 03:53 AM.