help hydraulic clutch for 833? bad z bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
A rant and rave from the nearly elderly
Hydraulic clutches are a pretty radical departure for something as well-known and widely used as the Mopar clutch linkage

First, get a friend and troubleshoot what you have:
take a look under there while someone works the linkage. Visualize the angles as the linkage operates, and see if you can determine if some angle is so bad that it restricts travel.

For example, any of the levers that are angled far away from a 90 angle to a pushrod at some point are losing travel, because you have effectively reduced the length of the lever.
Also be VERY suspicious--I once had a tube/lever crack a weld, and was actually rotating the tube without moving the lever. Pull things apart and inspect the ball pivots and bushings, and watch them CAREFULLY for movement.
How about motor mounts? If you have worn/ loose mounts, that could be causing problems.
I once had a cover which had gathered a bunch of driven disk material jammed between the cover and pressure plate. You could jam you foot to the floor, and the press. plate would not release enough--it was being "blocked" to the rear by the junk in the cover.
Generally, my Mopars always had WAY enough travel. In a couple of my cars, I actually modified the return pad/ and put a stop bolt under the dash to REDUCE the travel, so if you linkage is properly set up, you should be able to get plenty.