Potential Noob -- Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential Noob -- Questions

In the 70's and the 80's my uncle owned somewhere around 6-8 1st Gen Plymouth Barracudas. When he died before I was born, my dad kept a ton of Mopar parts (particularly badges, interior peices, etc.), but we've never done anything with them. Yesterday, I was walking past a Mopar restoration center and something grabbed my attention. The colors, the smell, im not really sure. But that is a ridiculously good atmosphere.
I've always been into Volkswagens, but now in my infinate wisdom I'm over my head in a VW Fox... so I'd really be intrested in getting into a car that actually appreciates with time.
I'm not sure this is a really good idea, because I'm a student, and frankly, I like getting 30mpg. But, these are pretty sick cars. I'd probably be able to manage.
What should I know when looking for a car? Any trouble areas? Welds, rust?
I hope I'm posting in the right area. Thanks, Kevin
Old 01-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stick with newer late model transportation. Old cars are a hobby, not intended to be used as reliable, economical transportation. That being said there are some on here that drive their old cars everyday.

A few considerations. First forget mileage. Forget it, nope none of them. Second, the restoration cost to get it to a point it will be road worthy and dependable, is not usually something a student can handle with the cost of school, job, social life etc... So, finish school, find a job that pays well, and the whole time do research and decide what you really like in vintage cars. Be prepared to put down good money for a good car. The better the car you start with, the better the car will be you finish with.

Welcome to the old car hobby!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and if you have any skills try and find a car with flaws in the area you are lacking...so if you are great at putting engines together, but you are horrible at interiors...try and find one that has a decent inside with a shitty engine etc etc...also agree with above post...the better chunk of money you can put down in the beginning will "usually" end up making the fix up alot easier...or just find out if your dad has any spare cuda's laying around and steal it and go from there
Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Trying to do something like this as a student is hard, money and time wise. Like C4C said, get through school, find a good job and then dive into this hobby.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by 78D200
Trying to do something like this as a student is hard, money and time wise. Like C4C said, get through school, find a good job and then dive into this hobby.

I agree totally... You have plenty of time. Hell I'm older than dirt and I still got the "Mopar Bug".
Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it def. is im trying to manage to scrap around parts to fix mine so i can drive it on the road legally