Rebuilt 318, white smoke :/ help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rebuilt 318, white smoke :/ help please

So had my 1974 Dodge Dart swinger 318 v8 rebuilt. One of the new things I had put on was a high volume oil pump(recently got a set of gauges and it's been at 70ish and after warm at about 55-60), changed to a 4 barrel edelbrock carb. So when I start the car (in the morning or after I've driven it and its sat for a hour)there's a big cloud of white smoke. But stops after the initial big cloud. Another problem I have going on is a big oil leak coming from somewhere up top of the engine and dripping off the front of the transmission. Through the leak was the intake manifold and have changed it twice, still leaking. My friend says it could possibly be that thehigh volume pump has caused the head gasket to not seal or break and then cause the white smoke from the mixing fluids. I would really appreciate some help
Old 10-15-2017, 02:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Look for; the intake manifold not seated to the cylinder head intake face. The front and rear intake rail gaskets should be crushed about half their thickness/(possible water leak). The cylinder head alignment dowels being crushed and the head not seating correctly. Emulsified oil (whitish, puky looking). Condensation under valve covers and rusty spark plug.

Last edited by Drag Pak; 10-15-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Mopar Fan

Ok so another though is that as it is rn on the valve covers, one side has a breather and one has a cap(that doesn't have much of a seal. Kinda come right out). Could the crank pressure be too much and having no relief causing it to leak oil ? I've seen on some other simikar engines have a tuning that goes from one valve cover into the air cleaner and out to somewhere else. When I first got the car it had a breather with a hose to the air cleaner that was on the old 2 barrel carb and then went out to somewhere else but I can't remember. What do you think?
Old 10-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 482 Posts
I agree with DragPack, you're burning water. Check rad water level, you have to be careful not to hydraulic the motor..
Old 10-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
Check to make sure the Oil Pressure Switch is not leaking..
I agree with the other guys on checking the other stuff..
Old 10-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Check to make sure the Oil Pressure Switch is not leaking..
I agree with the other guys on checking the other stuff..
the brass part for the gauge right? It's been leaking but every time I put teflon and try to make sure it's tight. I posted a pic hopefully you can see that I don't have anything but the one breather. I currently have the valve covers off so I can't exactly show the current state. I'm assuming the one breather is not enough and I need that pub valve setup?
Attached Thumbnails Rebuilt 318, white smoke :/ help please-img_5661.jpg  

Last edited by D4Dartswinger; 10-16-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Iowan
I agree with DragPack, you're burning water. Check rad water level, you have to be careful not to hydraulic the motor..
hydraulic the motor?
Old 10-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Hydraulic the engine

Originally Posted by D4Dartswinger
hydraulic the motor?
Fill a cylinder with water, hit the starter bending a connecting rod!!!!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by D4Dartswinger
the brass part for the gauge right? It's been leaking but every time I put teflon and try to make sure it's tight. I posted a pic hopefully you can see that I don't have anything but the one breather. I currently have the valve covers off so I can't exactly show the current state. I'm assuming the one breather is not enough and I need that pub valve setup?
Yes. The brass part... Thread size should be 1/8 N.P.T. You can also look at the back of the manifold for leaks also,
Get a small Mirror and find out whats leaking,,, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...iABEgKhYfD_BwE
AS for the breather.. One hole for the breather and one hole for you P.C.V... A Must Have,
Old 10-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Mopar Fan

Yes. The brass part... Thread size should be 1/8 N.P.T. You can also look at the back of the manifold for leaks also,
Get a small Mirror and find out whats leaking,,, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...iABEgKhYfD_BwE
AS for the breather.. One hole for the breather and one hole for you P.C.V... A Must Have,
ok. Well gona put the valve covers back on and hook up the pcv setup and see how that goes. Could this possibly solve my white smoke problem?
Old 10-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Mopar Lover

I would test the system as the other suggested... I'm just giving you input on the oil leak at the moment... Buuuuut

AS for the Smoke issue.
Pull all the spark plugs.
Compression test all cylinders.
Look for coolant in the cylinders
Test the cooling system for combustion gases
Check the engine oil for signs of water..
Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Mopar Fan

I would test the system as the other suggested... I'm just giving you input on the oil leak at the moment... Buuuuut

AS for the Smoke issue.
Pull all the spark plugs.
Compression test all cylinders.
Look for coolant in the cylinders
Test the cooling system for combustion gases
Check the engine oil for signs of water..
thanks I really appreciate your advice. All cylinders have good compression but one of the plugs is bad.They all had compression at 90-115 Looks like gas or oil got into the hole with the bad plug. After the last gasket change I had gotten water in the oil but drained it all and refilled with new oil.

Last edited by D4Dartswinger; 10-16-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Mopar Fan

So it was the crank pressure. My buddy set up the little pcv setup and haven't seen any trace of oil on the intake. I wouldn't have expected that little setup to make that big of a difference. There was oil everywhere in the most random places and it didn't make any sense. This dart has turned out to be such a handful