dana 44 stone shield lip seal - Forsheda v-ring

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
dana 44 stone shield lip seal - Forsheda v-ring

When I removed my front drive axles to replace my steering ujoints. I notice they had an odd rubber "v-ring" seal on them. Molded on them was " Forsheda 38415". I set out to get replacements since mine where old and weathered. I couldn't find anything based on my application alone (1977 Dodge W200) so, I tried using the information molded into the rubber itself. I cam across a website that crossed referenced the number over to Napa 400700. So, I ordered two.

They fit on the stone shield just fine. However, when I starting putting the hub/bearing assembly back together I notice these seals didn't have sufficient clearance and interfered with the hubs being able to turn freely. So I ended up removing them (destroying them in the process) to correct that problem.

I'm not sure what went wrong, but I do have some ideas.

• The replacement inner wheel seals where a little thicker than the original ones that had to be removed in order to pull the axles. Perhaps that took away the needed clearance?
  • I got the wrong seals?
  • The truck was never suppose to have them? My Chilton manual only mentions this seal for models though 1984 and my Haynes make no mention of the v-ring seal at all. All the seal seems to do is “cup” against the inner wheel seal shielding it from splashes.

I was able to find one other online discussion about this over at ramcharger central.

http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle...e-shaft-seals/

Has anyone here encountered this problem before?
Attached Thumbnails dana 44 stone shield lip seal - Forsheda v-ring-picture-1.jpg   dana 44 stone shield lip seal - Forsheda v-ring-picture-2.jpg   dana 44 stone shield lip seal - Forsheda v-ring-picture-3.jpg   dana 44 stone shield lip seal - Forsheda v-ring-400700-skf-skf-www.yiparts.com_de_da_differ-copy-.png  
Old 07-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
https://ramchargercentral.com/vehicl...heel-bearings/
PowerWagonPete @ ramchargercentral

The original factory inner seal was a slinger and seal unit which rotated with the axle. This is replaced with the same stationary oil seal that is used in the retainer. The SKF/CR/NAPA part number for the seals is #26153.

Glad I finally found some info on this deal.