1966 Dodge Monaco Ignition Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1966 Dodge Monaco Ignition Wiring

I recently purchased a 1966 Dodge Monaco and the wiring is all rigged. I made this picture and color coded the wires in the car and where they are as of now. Hopefully someone can help me to get rid of some of these wires and put the other wires in thier correct spots for the ignition system. The way it is wired up now will crank the car but will not turn off when I turn the key back, I have to remove one of the wires from the ballast resistor to get it to shut off the car.
I can get it to crank and run just like it is now, but I run the risk of burning something up I think. The book I have says there are only supposed to be 2 wires on each side of the Ballast Resistor. I wired it up like the book said and it would not crank. I would like them to be wired up correctly but I do not know anything about how an ignition system is wired up.

It always blows fuses for the tail lights (A Tridon fuse) And it always blows the Accessory fuse in the fuse box and I dont know why.
(Maybe that is a problem for a future fix or an ignition related problem?)
(Due to the rigging of the ignition into the tail lights maybe?)

Anyone know how the wires should be in an ignition system?

Here is the picture of the way it is wired up at this moment.

Last edited by TheBipolarGemini; 10-08-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Mopar Lover

Try this.
Attached Thumbnails 1966 Dodge Monaco Ignition Wiring-66polaramonacob.jpg   1966 Dodge Monaco Ignition Wiring-66polaramonacoa.jpg  

Last edited by Polaradude; 10-08-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:42 PM

Can you burn something up with those 4 wires going to the ballast resistor instead of 2 on each side? Theres 4 on one side and 2 wires on the other side. Thank you for the charts, They are a bit different than the manual I have for my car.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe the "extra" element in the ballast resistor is something used on for the 3-speed wipers. The important thing is to use the proper side of the ballast, as top and bottom have different resistance values. I THINK the ignition resistor should have 1.5-1.9 ohms when warmed up. You can check this by measuring voltage at the + side of the coil. Look for 7-8 volts dc. If you do this you MUST test the + to a chassis ground, Not the -side of the coil.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:22 AM

There are 3 wires coming out of the Distributor, 2 are black and 1 is Red, The really thick one I know goes to the middle of the Ignition Coil, Where do the 2 smaller wires go?
When I hook one of the wires to the negative side of the Ignition coil and the other to the postive of my battery, The car will crank and shut off with the key. Is that the right place for the third wire is the positive battery post? One goes to the middle of the Ignition coil, One goes to the negative of the Ignition coil, Where does the 3rd wire go?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:36 AM

Does anyone know where the 2 wires coming out of my distributor go? When I hook the white one from the distibutor to my Battery Postive, Ignition Coil Positive or my Ballast Resistor the car will cut on and off with the key but it sounds like it spudders to me like its missing a spark plug. But its not every time its every 5-10 seconds and the car runs wierd. The black wire I think goes to the negative side of the Distributo right? I have no clue. There are 3 wires, One is Fat and black which I know goes to the middle of the ignition coil and to the middle of the distributor but the other 2 is boggling my mind. Its a 1966 Dodge Monaco.