All original 413 max wedge worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All original 413 max wedge worth?

Alright so I know this is my first post but I've searched all over for prices or even what this may be worth but can't find anything.

So the story goes like this, my grandfather is nearly one of the largest collectors of mopar parts I've ever seen. I mean, he has a rack of original shaker hoods that I have yet to even go through as well as a ton of number matching motors and the trans still attached to them. That's just the beginning of what there is Well he's recently passed away and the collection has come on down to me.

Now I have followed mopar most of my life and have an idea of what most stuff is worth but upon going through his house (he liked to keep EVERYTHING) I found an all original pristine condition 413 max wedge just sitting on a stand in his living room. That a bunch of random garbage had covered up. Now my stomach nearly dropped seeing this as I know max wedges were a big deal. According to my grandmother he bought that motor before it had even been dropped in a car. I have no idea how but it is immaculate. I am just curious what this could be worth?

I haven't taken any pictures yet as I just was trying to sort out stuff last time I was out at his place but next time I go out which should be within a week or so I'll have all the pictures in the world. Thanks for the help!

Update: Found a nearly unmolested 1966 charger with the original 426 and 4 speed hurst shifter.
It is a nasty cream color though. Any idea on the worth of this? Again pictures will be up soon.

Last edited by cdub3n; 02-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Its worth as much as the video you need to take when your tring to get it out of the living room with a cherry picker... LOL joking aside first you need to find out what year it is.. Its worth more to somebody tring to put the original date coded engine back in their car. Pics will help, second problem you have is,, you have no clue whats done to it,, If I can not here anything run I consider it blown up,, its worth the price of a rebuildable core. If you get the shaft on a engine a time or to you will understand.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

My brother has a 413 max wedge he got out of a 60's new yorker i think.
the only thing he had to do is put larger intake valves in it with some type of monster cam. The 413 is a very strong motor a 426 max wedge is even better.
My brother has the block stored after years of use but he installed the heads on his 440 what a power house, 13.5 1 compression can only run her on racing fuel or she's all ping.
Well my brother would never sell his 413 so that may be a indicator for you of price.
PURPLE HORONET i agree with you, i have had a few friends who got the shaft in a engine deal!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah from what I understand these motors are just amazing.
I will get a video of I running and such when I can get it out of there haha. But the condition of this thing is unreal. Literally looks brand new. And as far as parts it's all original.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
The engine is not a gold mine,, you can get more money out of those shaker, and air grabber hoods.. A few years ago I could have bought one of those big sleds with a 413 in it for 1500.00.. Yes it was sitting for over 30 years outside and the engine needed a rebuild but was not stuck. Its a cool engine but I would rather build a 440 than a 413..

The big wow factor to a 413 is that back in the day when it came out it was awesome.. Because the 426 max wedge and the 426 hemi or the 440 was not around yet to wipe the smile off the 413's face. So threw the years the old timers always tell us how awesome the 413 was back in the day, blah blah blah.. Now we have that stuck in are head. Its a cool engine, but todays standards cubic inches are the best way to go.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorts 5th
My brother has a 413 max wedge he got out of a 60's new yorker!
A person begins to wonder if some of you even know what a "max wedge" actually IS.

The number one, two, and three things that identify a max wedge is

1--the heads, which had huge ports and no heat crossover. If the engine does not have those heads, it is not a max

2--the intake is a factory short crossram.

3--last you can dig into the shortblock and determine if it has the correct pistons and cam, and of course if the casting number makes sense. But there was no "dedicated" casting no. for max blocks. they were really just truck blocks. The 413s, however, had a machined notch to clear the exhaust valves.

Otherwise you may have a 413 or 426, those two numbers do not make it a "max."

max heads:

http://racehemi.maxwedge.com/topics/heads.php

max intakes:

http://racehemi.maxwedge.com/topics/intakes.php

max blocks:

http://racehemi.maxwedge.com/topics/castings.php

stuff:

http://racehemi.maxwedge.com/topics/stages.php
Old 02-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
and none came in a new yorker
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Also they did not have the shaft mounted rockers, they had a pedestal arrangement
Old 02-09-2013, 05:49 AM
Mopar Lover

Smile

Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
A person begins to wonder if some of you even know what a "max wedge" actually IS.

http://racehemi.maxwedge.com/topics/stages.php
so the max wedge head was a performance head from the factory, stage 1 and 2 ?
i see now and just because the motor out of the car was a 413 with the closed chambered heads just makes them "replacement" or stage 3 head the head wasn't considered a original "max wedge" but a truck or passenger head?
and the mod's to the heads, ie larger valves, a little port n polish is just that a set of "stage three" pass car heads, not the "max wedge", on top of his 440? i learned something. i can't wait till i share it with my brother.
Can you elaborate on those valve sizes? And porting-polishing?

Last edited by Gorts 5th; 02-09-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
No, take a look at the links I provided. The heads have huge ports compared to run of the mill 413 single 4bbl heads such as might be found in a truck or New Yorker. You won't be putting larger valves into a max head because they are already about as large as will fit. A "stage" head is NOT considered to be a "passenger" head in the production/ stock sense. THERE WAS NO heat riser passage. They are completely different castings.

I owned a '64 426 "street" wedge, and from the factory, they are about even on a par with a typical 383 RR. They have "log" exhaust manifolds, which don't flow all that well, heads that are like the small valve pre--67 heads, and an intake that is nothing to write home about.

The REASON these are known (slang) as "max" or "maxi" is because they were officially "maximum performance." And people throw that term "max wedge" around like peanut butter. The fact is, there were never all that many made.

When I said the block was really a truck block, I meant in general terms. The block itself is NOT what made horsepower. The intake, heads, cam and pistons is what made these put out the power they did. Without all that, you might just as well HAVE a "truck" block.

Last edited by 440roadrunner; 02-09-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
I was dealing with a guy selling an old very orange, very lifted 4x4 Dodge pickup. Somewhere along the line, a 413 made its way between the frame rails and I thought that was soooo super cool.

I wanted that truck in a big way; in the end, I backed out because it just wasn’t practical enough for what I needed (and can afford!). It was running something like 39.5 boggers on an eight inch lift, and the 413 was warmed up quite a bit so the mileage would have been atrocious. I don’t normally fret about mileage but when you are in the 6-8 range, things get ridiculous real fast.

Anyhow, I love, LOVE the 413, if not simply because it’s so different.

Hah! I found the darn thing.

Name:  sell1.jpg
Views: 4664
Size:  72.9 KB

Last edited by Skwerly; 02-09-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added image
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 AM
Mopar Lover

Smile

The motor cam out of a 64 new yorker
my brother and i both read the articles very informative.
so we know for sure he has the stage 3 heads.
he said he held off on the larger valves when he installed them he just did some cleaning on the ports and a polish. so the valve sizes recommended in the article was a great discovery.
He's concerned about having larger valves installed now, he's afraid some bias machinist will damage the head's and blame it on old broken part's.
i wounder if MReeves could recommend a machine shop to do the work?
but any way it's not a eminent need he's not ready to work on them.