what does this shift kit mean in there explanation

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, here is an update.
I fit the shift kit and while the valve body was out i put the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valve springs out of a good 727 trans i have used before and put them in the a518.
The 2-3 shift spring in the a518 was several mm longer than the one in the 727 which might have been holding it in 2nd longer.
The 1-2 spring was slightly shorter which might have been making it change too early.
I have tested it a couple of times now and it is much much better. When its cold it is the same as it was when the shifts were 700 to 900 rpm different but when it warms up it is much better.

Under WOT they shift with in 100 rpm of each other. There was a spring in the shift kit that said it would hold it in each gear longer so i left it out and used the stock one again. I think i will install that spring at a later date now they are changing close to each other as on normal acceleration it changes just over 2200 rpm but at WOT it only holds to about 3500rpm max and doesn't always kick down under heavy acceleration.

The only bad thing is, i think i have a noticeably shudder most of the time.

In the kit it said to only wind the allen key pressure control in 2 full turns from flat out for mild HP and 4 full turns for big HP. Under thier advice I only did the 2and a half full turns. I dont think it is enough. It is back to about the same gap as when you told me to wind it in to double the gap. If i wind it in 4 turns as it said for large HP what will that do? Apparently the shift kit increases line pressure so i was worried i might damage the trans with too much pressure. If i wind that in will it firm up my shifts more or does it do something else.
cheers maca
Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

The shudder is that in the lock up stage? or the 1-2 -3 stage? or the O.D stage?
You should use the part's in the kit, it will eliminate a lot of issues if you left out a spring, or skip a step?
Are you sure your L.U. is not hanging up or slipping?
also i have my pressure 4 turns it's not a harsh shift you wont blow your trany
post the instructions can you? if we can read the instructions that would help us all.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shudder seems to be all the time. I am not running alockup converter. I phoned Transgo and they were very helpful. The chatted stepby step and made sure it was all done correctly.

I think I will wind up the pressure 4 turns and test driveit some more and see how she goes.

Cheers