1967 Belvedere Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1967 Belvedere Tail Lights

So I've had this Belvedere for about 8 years, went through a frame on restoration, everything worked. Found a small bit of rust on the left rear quarter that had been missed and over a winter had made itself known, so took it back to the shop and had it fixed... then it came out with NO tail lights.

So, after a long, excruciating wait for a mechanic who has been sitting on it for about 15 weeks, we have parking lights, turn signals and the other day had the LEFT brake. After putting an ohmmeter on the appropriate connections, and fiddling with it for half the day, we found that we had power out of the brake switch, power out of the turn signal switch, but somewhere between there and the brown wire in the kick panel to the right brake light, the current disappeared. The consensus was a bad turn signal switch. Enter a new turn signal switch and a phone call the next day that it was all working and ready for pickup.

So, I went down to get it, and of course, before taking possession wanted to see all the lights in action. Had parking lights, turn signals, and the RIGHT brake light. With the install of a new turn signal switch, the problem jumped to the opposite brake light. Years ago I had problems with the tail lights on this thing and the addition of grounding wires to the light bulb bodies to the car body cured it. However, this seems to be totally different as we've tried adding grounds, new switches, tracking current, measuring continuity, and we simply are at a loss.

What's most aggravating is the fact I was out of the country for 11 weeks and was told it would be done when I got back. Low and behold he started the project the week I arrived home, and I will be heading back overseas in August. So, I think as of today, I'm down to 6 weeks TOTAL to drive my car this year because this guy sat on it... as I said, he's had it for 15 weeks, going on 16 now.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand, only one brake light and it jumps with the install of a new turn signal switch, if anyone's got any bright ideas, I'm all for it! Please!

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you checked the fuses?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Yep, the tail light fuse has continually remained intact.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Dang sounds like a question for 440roadrunner... Cant figure why it would move from one side to the other.... Fuse would have nothing to do with one side working and the other not... Sounds like a time to check the wires running down the column... Just a guess of course...
Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM

Okay, got it back today, and I'm happy to say it was a matter of being extra careful with the plug below the steering column. Good solid connections and it's finally working.

Now, I've got it back and noticed one other thing, of course. When I turn on the headlights the right turn signal indicator comes on. As I don't plan on driving it at night for the next few weeks, I really don't care, but if anyone has any ideas.

Just a photo to show why I'm so frustrated. I thought we did a pretty thorough job.
Attached Thumbnails 1967 Belvedere Tail Lights-100_1456.jpg