to paint the underside

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to paint the underside

This is probably a crazy idea and I am considering it due to budget and space limitations. My 68 Barracuda has almost no rust. There are pockets of surface rust under the car (where the front fenders meet the body) and that is about it. As I take the floor boards down to bare metal, removing dirt, minor surface rust, and even some sporadic undercoating. The underside must be painted in the garage. House over garage. Must lay on back (car is up high on jack stands) so fumes and all that are a problem. My crazy idea? finish sanding down the underside, primer it (got goggles, mask you name it) with can primer. Then, spary it with the cans of paint (UU1) working from the back to the front (fans of course) and then clear coat it. Not idea but the car has no drive train or suspension. Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Mopar Fan

You could brush on POR-15...... since it is under the car you won't have a UV problem. That stuff is tough as nails after it fully dries.....

Do you want to spray it to match the car color or just black???
Old 05-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Personally I think it should be painted body color.. Painted black ? I always wonder what they are covering up... Not cheap but you can get custom mixed spray cans in body color...Spend some time and raise the car up about 2 feet 3 if you can. Must use some type of breathing equipment
Old 05-27-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint it body color you won't be sorry
Attached Thumbnails to paint the underside-scan0002.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Go for it.

Go for it.

We did all my paintwork with the car on stands in a one car converted carport with masking plastic stapled to the ceiling and a furnace fan for extraction. You might want to buy an inexpensive mini gun (HVLP)
Attached Thumbnails to paint the underside-erik-finished-031.jpg   to paint the underside-erik-finished-033.jpg   to paint the underside-erik-finished-039.jpg   to paint the underside-paint5.jpg   to paint the underside-erik-finished-034.jpg  

Last edited by Drag Pak; 05-27-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Mopar Fan

thanks to a great forum

I thought about POR15, and used it before. But, with my fading eyes and all, I decided I want to go with body color. Black would make it too tough for me to see anything. Now, don't get me wrong, it is actually a pretty good idea, but for me I can see problems. And you can trust this won't be a cheesy job. Friends go nuts because I am such a perfectionist. I bought some paint in a spary can, UU1, and I am going to practice on the hood latch bracket assembly, the horizontal top part and the vertical piece that attaches to the bottom of the radiator core support. I did the actual latch, spring, and handle in clear after I sanded them down. Looks good. If I can get the paint right on some smaller pieces, then it will be a go. This will take a long time and be tedious but budget constraints (like I said, the fault of Missouri family services) have really hamstrung me. I will not let you all down. Thanks for the great input.