69 Road Runner charging problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
That IS weird. One thing I'd do is rig up a temporary wire from the ignition terminal on the regulator--by the way--

are you using the old '69 and earlier "two terminal" regulator, or have you converted to the later electronic?

rig up a wire from the ignition term. on the regulator, and hook a voltmeter to it that you can see from inside. See if you have "good solid" battery supply voltage at that point, at the time that your voltage drops on your other meter

Are you SURE you have a good regulator? (Buying a new one is no guarantee!!)

Check that:

the regulator is well grounded to the body

the body is grounded (with a jumper) to the engine. Best way to do this is put (at least) no 10 from your regulator bolt right down to the engine. Also make sure that the big main ground is hooked to the ENGINE. THere should also be a smaller jumper from the battery neg. to the body, right from the battery to the body.

If that yields nothing, temporarily hook your voltmeter to the "big" battery term on the alternator and see if that point drops at the same time as your battery voltmeter.

Also, does the ammeter or voltmeter "jiggle" or jump around, or is it good and steady?

You might have a look at the dreaded "ammeter" problem, one that has seen some discussion here. What happens to these ammeters, is , that the plastic dash becomes part of the mechanics that "holds" the thing--and the electrical connections--together, so if those terminals are just a little loose, and get hot, then the plastic of the dash melts, and the connectors get even MORE loose.

Also, right after you start the car, and have your "good" 14.5 reading, what happens when you load the system heavily? That is, turn on headlights, heater, anything else that is a heavy load?

Last edited by 440roadrunner; 01-29-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
It is VERY VERY important that the regulator be grounded tight.

That just might be at least part of the problem.

The jumper from the battery to the block should be AT LEAST no. 10 or BIGGER.

I used to buy an "eye to eye" cable, rather than "battery to eye" and use them for a block-to-body jumper. That is, a cable the same size as the main battery cable.

(You learn these things when you start doing things like trunk mount battery, dual batteries, winches, and 100A alternators!!)

I forgot to mention the bulkhead connector--which is a problem especially now that these cars are old. There are at least TWO wires with very heavy current on them, one leading TO the ammeter, and one coming back FROM the ammeter. It is VERY important these be clean and tight.

On my old car, which at one time had extra radio equipment (amateur and two-way) I actually drilled out the bulkhead connector for those to main feeds and replaced them with larger no.8 feeds.

(I realize that for a "classic" you probably would not want to do so.)

(((Once, when doing some work on the '70, I forgot to hook up the frame-to-engine jumper, and I had the battery in the trunk then, so of course the battery main ground was to the frame/body. I got in and tried to crank the engine. The high current blew the retainer clip right off one of the clutch linkages up under the dash!!)))

Last edited by 440roadrunner; 01-30-2008 at 09:17 PM.