How do you take the driver side manifold off a 73 Satellite

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you take the driver side manifold off a 73 Satellite

I am trying to install hedmon headers on a 73 satellite sebring plus with a 400 in it. How do i go about taking off the driver side manifold. the steering column is in the way of the rear two nuts. Do i have to take the whole engine out or is there another way this can be done. The passenger side header has already been installed
Old 04-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
You have to raise the engine to get the headers in, You might be able to get a better shot at it. Have you tried from underneath ? you should have the starter out to make more room. Put the header in loose, install the starter, then the header. A lot of GM V6 us a long metal tube type spark plug boot which will work with the headers
Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Mopar Fan

i had a 318 in my 73 and i took a crow bar and pryied them off
but what you could do is take 2 nuts stack them and remove the studs and then pull the headers up or down what ever way works
Name:  102_1451.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  56.2 KB
Old 06-18-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by TVLynn
You have to raise the engine to get the headers in, You might be able to get a better shot at it. Have you tried from underneath ? you should have the starter out to make more room. Put the header in loose, install the starter, then the header. A lot of GM V6 us a long metal tube type spark plug boot which will work with the headers
Ok i got a mini starter the headers is in the right spot and loose but starter will still not fit is it really nwcessary to raise the engine. What does that do
Old 06-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
On most any car I've been privy to, raising the engine is a MUST if installing headers. On some, you just about have to pretend you are pulling it clear out, that is, you need to unhook everything just as if you were yanking it clear out.

Good luck with the Hedmans. On my dart, I had to:

dent the right side for torsion bar clearance, and dent the header, bend the pan rail under the right side of the engine.

On the left, had to dent the tube up against the steering column, as well as where it passes by the steering (manual) box.

I made my own adapter from power column to manual box, so had to slightly dent that tube as well.

I made the mistake of buying their "painted" headers, only to find out the first thing you must do is strip the damn paint off.

I sent them an email they won't soon forget, and of course have not heard back. Hedman won't EVER be getting one more cent out of me.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
On most any car I've been privy to, raising the engine is a MUST if installing headers. On some, you just about have to pretend you are pulling it clear out, that is, you need to unhook everything just as if you were yanking it clear out.

Good luck with the Hedmans. On my dart, I had to:

dent the right side for torsion bar clearance, and dent the header, bend the pan rail under the right side of the engine.

On the left, had to dent the tube up against the steering column, as well as where it passes by the steering (manual) box.

I made my own adapter from power column to manual box, so had to slightly dent that tube

I made the mistake of buying their "painted" headers, only to find out the first thing you must do is strip the damn paint off.

I sent them an email they won't soon forget, and of course have not heard back. Hedman won't EVER be getting one more cent out of me.
Ok tried dent the pipe still stuck on the starter by a 1/4 inch. So how did u raise the engine
Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Mopar Fan

i just did the same thing 2 months ago on installing hedman headers on my 73 charger 400 and yes you need to lift your engine 6 in or so what i did was loosen your motor mounts mine would slide up out of the bracket and back in without removing the whole bolt dont know about yours then i removed my starter unhooked my shaft from the differential and unscrewed my transmission mount and then lifted the engine from the intake bolts(evenly) and yanked the engine up and a bit foward dont know why but i just had to to get them in they were not shorty headers they were the long ones dont know if you will be doing the same but you MUST lift up the engine to get them in 6 inches is my guess ! ( now gotta do everything again to get my heads done lol ) !:banghead:
Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same problem with the mini starter. It was too long to fit. I guess you could dimple the headers to fit, I just put my old Mopar starter back on