Instrument Terminal Connections

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Terminal Connections

I sent this message to the electrical section of this forum and then discovered there is a B section. Here goes again.

I have a 1974 Dodge B100 Tradesman van, 318 motor. There are two cables that attach to the back of the instrument panel. Does anyone have an image, including one from an old shop manual, as to which terminals the black and red cables attach?

I am not getting any power, not even to the headlights. Zilch, no power at all even though I know power is going to the black and red cables. I think I may have attached the cables to the wrong terminals but can a malfunctioning ignition switch also cause this, i.e. no electrical power to anything, even the headlights?
Old 06-14-2023, 11:51 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
It's sounds like you may have a blown amp gauge. Hooking the wires up to the gauge backwards would cause it to read backwards but, you should still have power. You may consider bypassing it as the amp gauge is a common issue on old Chrysler products of this era. Simply connect the two wires going to the gauge directly to each other instead and see if power is restored.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really screwed up. Based on your response I figured it was time for some photos. As a result of this I discovered that the thin copper conductor burned through in one spot. I felt I needed to replace the instrument panel and so I went on the internet to find some used ones for sale. I found some and, luckily, they had the black and red cables still attached. My memory was way-way off. I had the cables connected at the wrong terminals. I also noticed one of the terminals said 'RED' which I had not noticed before. I hooked up the terminals the way they should be and it started up. All is okay now. I don't think I need to buy another used instrument panel because one of the thin flat conductors burned through. I am going to the hardware store and buy some thin copper sheets and solder a small piece over the burn.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:37 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed.... Cheers