1969 Chrysler Newport voltage questions - Mopar Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Mopar Fan

1969 Chrysler Newport voltage questions

Greetings Crew Members.

So I'm having a "no charge" condition with my land yacht. Noticed dim dashboard lights one evening. Glanced at the dreaded Amp Meter and the needle was leaning towards the discharge side of the gauge.

I used to have a surging condition, all the lights would pulse and the Amp Meter needle would follow the tempo. That phenomenon has ceased...

I've checked my ground references and did some corrosion cleaning on the spade connectors. Nothing horrible.

Battery voltage with the 383 sleeping is 12.39VDC. Running at idle, the voltage DROPS! to 12.19. Bumps-up to 12.21VDC at fast idle.

Original alternator was rebuilt last Spring but the voltage regulator was "ok" according to the electric shop whiz-bang technician. The fella has a good reputation around town so I didn't replace it.

My big block seems to be running hotter than it used to before this no charge BS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Captain Chrysler
Boompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Mopar Lover

I would check the amp gauge !! Take a very close look at it.. See if it looks discolored from heat ?
TVLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
Mopar Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVLynn View Post
I would check the amp gauge !!...See if it looks discolored from heat ?
Good morning TVLynn and thank you for your reply. Glad you're still here...

I'll inspect the gauge as best as I can and get back to you. It's a VERY complicated tight dashboard but a mirror and flash light should do the trick.

I was rereading an old post from 440RoadRunner regarding some simple charging circuit tests, so I plan to do those checks too. I'll let you know what I find.

Dependability is a must with me, rollback service is out of the question!

Regards, Captain Chrysler
Boompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:14 AM   #4

BOOMPY
Hi I am new on this site I had the same problem with my 69 road runner over charging and under charging .what I found was the wiring on my car was old and oxidized so the charging circuit was having a hard time ( voltage regulator ) .the fix was going to a one wire alternator .all I did was take a 8 gauge wire and ran it to the battery from the new alternator just like the directions say .what that does is take's the stress off the wiring system my car run a lot better.

ricks_RR
ricks_RR is offline   Reply With Quote