Glass Pack for my 1969 Newport Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Inspector71
In the 70s I ran Orange Peelers because they seemed to have a deeper growl than the Cherry bombs and not quiet as loud. I love your car. Great condition. I see this car with a low growl... I used to live in the great PA (Erie and Philly)
Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking about going with the Magnaflo Glass Pack. Better materials used in construction, "rock wool" instead of fiberglass, and the price is right.
Glad you dig my MoPar, so do I.

Regards, Capt Boompy's Deep Water Charter Service
Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Boompy!

I just got my exhaust installed not to long ago!

She's a 1969 Imperial lebaron that I'm building a resto-rod out of.

Dual cherry bombs coming out infront of the rear wheels! The 440 is built up (cam, bigger valves, ported and polished heads, 4 barrel holley 750cfm, high compression pistons)

I was going for a mean and loud exhaust .... which is exactly what I got. no raspyness, just sounds mean as f*ck!

Name:  QL6zu.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  223.7 KB

Name:  Y1Lhb.jpg
Size:  676.6 KB

Name:  f81dQ.jpg
Size:  655.1 KB

Name:  4rptr.jpg
Size:  479.1 KB

Name:  dqp0r.jpg
Size:  643.2 KB

Name:  SVJwU.jpg
Size:  451.0 KB
Old 01-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Side_show
Hey Boompy!
I just got my exhaust installed not to long ago!
She's a 1969 Imperial lebaron that I'm building a resto-rod out of.
WOW Man, very wicked-cool. Well done.
Looks like you're doing an excellent job.
Can't believe you got the pipes so high and tight.
Speed bumps- no problem. Speeding tickets, maybe a problem.
I'd call that 4000lbs of pure muscle. Thanks for posting.

I want the best gas milage I can get, so for now the 2-barrel stays.
Planning on a deep tune-up: points, plugs, condenser, air filter, rotor & cap, new plug wires and set the timing.
Looking forward to the deep healthy Blum-Blum-Blum-Blum-Blum...

Regards, Capt. Boompy's Deep Water Charter Service
Old 01-24-2014, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boompy
Thank you! I have to give credit to Hot Rod Scotts Exhaust in Toronto Ontario. Those guys are awesome, I wanted an "X" pipe style but the curves would have bee very restrictive to get it nice and tight to the undercarriage ... so we settled on an "H" style. which I'm more than happy with! From the manifolds to the tips for $700

They even thought ahead and made the tips removable ... since the rear end in lowered over 4" I have to take them off to get it on a trailer or they will catch!!!

(the only time this car will spend on a trailer is during the build ... I cant stand trailer queens!)

I'm looking for a Forum to do a build thread on .... which one has the most love for resto-rods? I found Cbodydrydock to be a little to "proper" and all about exact restos .... did I find the right place here on moparforums? or is cbodiesonly the place to go?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Side_show
Thank you! From the manifolds to the tips for $700... did I find the right place here on moparforums? or is cbodiesonly the place to go?
What a deal!
Money well $pent.

Regarding what forum would be the 'best' for your rebuild thread- I say, "Good question". I'm still a newbee here. I will say this: if your thread is here on the totally awesome C-body forum, I'll read it for sure.
Post, post, post.

Man, I'd love some freakin' temperature around here. So damn COLD I don't even feel like walking the dog. My Newport Custom just sits in the driveway like an iceberg waiting for some T.L.C.
Midweek the forecast was 33 degrees and partly sunny for Saturday. That's been changed to 31 degrees with two more inches of snow expected. Swell...

On your mark, get set, Boompy
Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
I agree (longer). Currently shopping for a "Cherry Bomb".
Thanks for the 'hose trick' tip. I can dig it...

As soon as I can get my router problems ironed-out, and I get the vessel dockside (fog horn blowing in the distance), I'll post more pics of this most amazing time capsule. Wait till you see the interior- like new! Dash board instrumentation features a "cold" light...

Can you recommend a good engine compartment degreaser that won't remove the paint? A clean machine just runs better.

Again, thanks to all who have tried to help me out.
Much appreciated.

Hard to starboard, Boompy Rightdoot

I’d try the ‘foamy’ engine degreaser. It’s a little less harsh on painted things, I believe, but still gets the job done.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
Old 02-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Greetings Crew Members.
Can you hear me now?

I installed the MagnaFlo glass pack Friday night. Pretty straightforward install with a good tight seal. The 'hull' of my vessel looks just as good as the 'upper deck'. The plugs are still in the inner rear fenders.
So, blum-blum-blum has turned into BLEM-BLEM-BLEM!
Perfect 383 note- 'sound', not noise...

Thoroughly enjoying disturbing the peace in the neighborhood. Wish I had a four barrel, but the needle on my gas gauge moves fast enough already.

Thanks to all who posted.

Regards, Capt. Boompy's Deep Water Charter Service
Old 03-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I want the best gas milage I can get, so for now the 2-barrel stays.
This car is probably 4400-4600 pounds curb weight.

BTW, a 4 barrel carb will likely give you better gas mileage (especially a sppreadbore), because the two primaries are smaller than your only two throttles. There is a misconception that the 2bbls were about fuel economy, but they were really about production cost. If you have a bigblock, you may just as well have the 4 door carburetor for once in a while!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by demetri
BTW, a 4 barrel carb will likely give you better gas mileage because the two primaries are smaller than your only two throttles. There is a misconception that the 2bbls were about fuel economy, but they were really about production cost. If you have a bigblock, you may just as well have the 4 door carburetor for once in a while!
You are a bad influence!

Yes, I'd like to have a 4-barrel but that's quite a swap-over in term$ of hardware (carb & intake), linkage and know-how. It can be done, but I'm afraid that would be the 'first domino'- next would be a higher stall converter, disk brakes conversion, wider rims and better rubber, etc.
Plus, I'd ALWAYS have my foot in it! BaWaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Zoom-gone.
Plus-plus, "upper management" will fire me.

Your points are well taken, thanks for posting.
Stirred not shaken, Capt. Boompy's Deep Water Charter Service
Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Now, the high stall converter WILL waste gas. And the wide wheels and fat tires are not necessarily an improvement. These cars handle well, but the suspension is designed for the relatively narrow tires (the radials are already a huge improvement to the original tires). But the 4bbl is an improvement, every way you look at it.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Mopar Fanatic

...the 4bbl is an improvement, every way you look at it.
You are still a bad influence!

Mash-it, Capt. Boompy
Old 03-09-2014, 04:57 AM
Mopar Fanatic

the 4bbl is an improvement
So I've been rolling the 4-barrel idea around in my mind and your point is well taken. I'll just wear a small shoe on my right foot.

So, would you recommend a factory steel intake, or go with an aftermarket brand- like Edelbrock?
I've always been a fan of 3-barrel carbs but they may not be the best match for my application.
Perhaps the best route would be to harvest the intake and carb form a salvage yard car- that way I'd get the kick-down linkage as well: the entire bolt-on package. Rebuild that carb and burn fuel!

Interested in your thoughts, Capt. Boompy's Drag Strip Shuttle Service
Old 03-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Mopar Fanatic

So I've been rolling the 4-barrel idea around in my mind and your point is well taken. I'll just wear a small shoe on my right foot.

So, would you recommend a factory steel intake, or go with an aftermarket brand- like Edelbrock?
I've always been a fan of 3-barrel carbs but they may not be the best match for my application.
Perhaps the best route would be to harvest the intake and carb form a salvage yard car- that way I'd get the kick-down linkage as well: the entire bolt-on package. Rebuild that carb and burn fuel!

Interested in your thoughts, Capt. Boompy's Drag Strip Shuttle Service
Since you are not making any other mods, just get the original cast iron manifold. Chrysler manifolds were well designed. An AVS 630 CFM will be just right for your 383, and they are cheap and reliable.