First Project.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Project.

Starting to do a little project, my first one, so I found out that the "Clone" I was buying is an actual Roadrunner, which I'm happy about after seeing it.

Was always big into the classics, never really liked anything else;
All other kids dreams were Lambos, Ferrari, Bentley, all that nonsense.

But right now I'm going to have a 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner sitting in the driveway, it runs but it needs some work.

Body:

It's all there, no REAL damage to it, except a 7 inch rust spot under the right rear quarter panel closer to the driver side, the grill is cracked on the right side (Facing the car) and the headlight bezel is dented in. The bumper trim leading to the trunk is completely gone, little bondo in the right quarter panel. The lock on the trunk is broken, need to climb in through the backseat and fix the bolt for the lock for it to work again. Definitely needs a paint job and decals.

Interior:

Has bench seats, which the driver's side is ripped up like usual, carpet needs to be replaced, headliner needs to be replaced, some cracks in the dash which aren't that bad... Door panels are in perfect condition. Has an electrical demon in there somewhere, just need to fire it up and look for it.

Engine:

Runs a 400ci V8, 727 Trans, still strong, new alternator and regulator put in, new pumps and valves, rear brakes need to be replaced along with the lines. But all in all it's a turn key car, after the brakes are done it will be on the road while it's getting fixed up.

Bought the car for $3,250. Flat black paint, no decals on the outside at all, original Beep Beep horn, some usual problems, I have a tight budget for 2 years but after that a couple thousand comes my way, any ideas on what I should do for now? Was thinking about getting a 440-6 for it, but I'm unsure of that yet, only 17 years old (18 in a month), dreams are coming true left and right, my mom is trying to get me to go with the LeSabre but I'd rather have what I've always wanted.

There is one problem... the fender tag is completely gone, I know that could spark problems with selling it later on, any way I could get another one? like a replacement?

Can you help me out on where to go for some of the things I need?

Going to install hood pins all around so I can just lift it off, Jegs should have them, shouldn't they?

Last edited by RROriginals; 05-10-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
At the age that you are at, for now just fix what it needs. Once you are out of school and have everything else pretty well stable (house and a job), then start going for the bigger stuff.

Since the motor and tranny are running strong, I would just leave them for the time being and just keep up with the maintenance. Work on getting the interior and exterior fixed up and looking good.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Well, I am out of school, my job is going to be working on this and restoring others are my uncle's shop, my main focus right now is fixing the brakes, but I need a plan for the future, I plan to gather parts for now. I'm having covers made for the seat, the carpet/headliner/dash will be done while the brakes are being installed but where should I go from there?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Mopar Fanatic

And yes... that sunroof is aftermarket which I'm sad about...
Old 05-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Once you have everything else done that needs to, then start looking to a motor that you want.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 AM

nice ride ,good luck on the build..
Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Was thinking about ripping the 400 that's in it and trying to drop in a modded 383 or 440, but I also want to put hood pins on it, for a remove-and-show appearance, any ideas on how I can do that or where I can get the pins and mounts?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Nice find RR its gonna be a wicked car when your done .... brings back memories of my Brothers green one back in the 80's
Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Been looking for a Runner in my price range for months and months, finally found one, I was hoping for a '72 but I'll take a '73 any day, my mom is trying to get me to go with that LeSabre she just doesn't understand
Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Mopar Fanatic

lmao got one of them myself who thinks the only car maker in the world is Ford .... mind ya we had some nice ones when I was a kid...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Yeah, well everytime I tell her my intentions, she says I won't do it, It'll stay the same, ect and so forth. She just loves shooting down my ideas and my dreams lol... She didn't want me taking my "sperm-donator's" route AKA my Dad... But I never met him and it happened anyway. I know it'll take time to get it how I want it but nevertheless it'll get there, I just need some ideas on what I should do really...
Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Brother like they say "Rome was not built in a day" and it applys to cars also, it's what makes you happy and it is all about trial & error so don't worry about what others like our parents think they drive Fords & Buicks lol .. no serious build it how you think it should present itself on the street and put that big **** eatin grin on yer face, it all takes time and $$$$ and my starting point is nothing but the shell, everything is being stripped off ...... so get the wheels turning and shoot some idea's out there for imput.....Scamp
Old 05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Thanks, I'm thinking when I do the brakes + Interior in the next few weeks, wonder if I'd get weird looks or comments about bringing it to a local show
Old 05-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Hell man I'd be going and some of the fastest street cars in Toronto dont even have paint ..... flat black or primer grey on cars like that makes it all the better when the win light goes off and the 10k paint job got to see your tail lights for the whole 1320 lol
Old 05-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Yeah, I need to order the decals from PG, I want to keep it original but I might want to do a custom dash, some of the people I'll be there with will have '69 Fairlanes, Magnum 440's, Darts, Chargers, Trans Am, Firebirds, Monte Carlo; Something tells me I won't really make a dent but I've never once seen a Roadrunner in Rhode Island, not even at the local shows
Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Mopar Fanatic

That right there says go, not many Roadrunner's around here either and I do think I have the only Scamp for 100 miles in any direction lol ..... we should team up
Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Haha we should, I get settlement checks every few years, this was my first one so I hope I'm making a good investment, I really wish I knew the value of the car in this condition, but there is NO FENDER TAG which threw me off, but it's whatever.. I want to install hood pins for easy access after I do the brakes, next check will be mostly the engine and other odds and ends, the paint is coming within the next 5-7 months, I THINK the only Roadrunner where I live is sitting in a field rotting away, looked like a '69 or '70
Old 05-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 78D200
At the age that you are at, for now just fix what it needs. Once you are out of school and have everything else pretty well stable (house and a job), then start going for the bigger stuff.

Since the motor and tranny are running strong, I would just leave them for the time being and just keep up with the maintenance. Work on getting the interior and exterior fixed up and looking good.
2x on that
jegs should have the lift of pins and everything
summitracing might too
Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Installation can't be that hard could it be? Lol I might end up mounting the forward 2 on the radiator support, but I need to find a place for the back two on the hood
Old 05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Mopar Fanatic

67 GTX is right I think pretty sure I seen them at both places on line & if all goes as I hope we might be able to hook up next year when I put the Scamp in NHRA Div. 1 Super Gas since it is mostly in New Jersy and that area .... we shall see how much I can get done and keep the wife happy at the same time lol
Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Hell if you come up to the East Coast we'll definitely hook up, by then I'll have a lot completed, ie- Interior fabrication, some sheet metal work done, everything except the engine + paint, got any pointers for the hood pins? I'm looking to install those the day or week after I bring Roxxy home
Old 05-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by RROriginals
Installation can't be that hard could it be? Lol I might end up mounting the forward 2 on the radiator support, but I need to find a place for the back two on the hood
front ones where the little hood bumper / stops & the back I don't know, you might have to do a little fab and make something custom
Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Might be selling my 70 440+6 to make some room in the shop, don't want to but I cant find a # matching Charger to put it in .... or even a decent shape one for that matter ...... would be sweet in your ride lol
Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Was thinking about fabricating 2 mounts and placing them on the sides of the engine compartment, I just want to have something custom, car shows I go to here I've only seen 2 pins, not 4, so it'll be nice to just lift off the hood, engine needs some work though, I think I might be able to pickup some cheap Mopar valve covers just to spruce it up and make it looks a little cleaner
Old 05-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Mopar Fanatic

every little bit helps and fresh paint goes along way .... 4 pin hood ya might wanna go with a fiberglass unit or have someone with you at all times to help lift the OE one off lol.... they heavy!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I might stick with this one, but when I do go to shows guarenteed I'll be bringing a friend with me, was thinking about taking it a little far and putting a push-button start in, my friend had/has one in his Matador but then I realize, in my neighborhood if I leave it on the street, it could be gone in the morning. But for making the engine a little more presentable, what's something low-cost but efficient I should do besides the covers?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Well myself I hate chrome, dont let the polished motor fool ya I'd paint it black if I could lol so it's really up to your personal taste what you want to do for apperance, simple stuff like clean up the whole motor and throw some paint on it, put all the loose wires that are every where in some loom, some steel braided line would look sweet .... that kind of stuff - push button starter lol oh my god my first ride was a 55 chevy pick up with the push button starter on the floor under the gas pedal cause thats where they put them ..... only took me an hour to find it lol ..... go for it man just put a toggle switch somewhere hidden to kill the power to it when ya park ...
Old 05-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Mopar Fanatic

How much would the push button, power switch cost? I might end up taking off the dash and putting the switch in the glovebox lol, for paint I might just leave the Eddy filter, get some flat black Mopar covers, paint some other stuff red, Black + Red is my color scheming for 'Runner, Inferno red on the ouside, black interior, red+black engine components, and where could I buy the push button/switch and how would I install it?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Mopar Fanatic

The switch is not that much but your problem is you will need to get an old style ign. switch or start digging into the wiring harness for the wire - the old style does not have the crank and return method it just a switch from on to off so this might be a large undertaking for the sake of push button start, my ign. switch will be in the dash but I am replacing the steering coloum with a light weight race unit so there is nothing on it ...... if I was there we could have had it installed already in the time it took here lol
Old 05-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Well I have something more serious right now, the wiring harness in the steering column is faulty, something is draining the battery when the car shuts off, when it's running it stays running but when the car is off the battery completely drains within 10 minutes, I don't know why this is but the kid I bought it off put a new regulator, alternator in it, any ideas? And any news on that fender tag if I could get a replacement in the US?

Quick Reply: First Project.