35 Years of wrenching. And you need what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
35 Years of wrenching. And you need what?

After 35 years of wrenching on all sorts of equipment.... They bring me an (MRAP) to work on..... Wow.... I'm Feeling old.....Hahahahahahahaha

http://defense-update.com/products/m/mrap.htm
Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
35 years WOW. i started working working in 1967 stopped in 2009. when i was young i herd an old man say "i have forgotten more about welding than you will ever know" ill always remembered that. when i was in my late 50s it occurred what he old man meant. he was upset about forgetting so much.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by moe7404
35 years WOW. i started working working in 1967 stopped in 2009. when i was young i herd an old man say "i have forgotten more about welding than you will ever know" ill always remembered that. when i was in my late 50s it occurred what he old man meant. he was upset about forgetting so much.
That's funny I use that alot on these young guys that act like they know it all... And you know what they say.. A person who thinks he knows it all, Is very annoying to a those of us that really do... I said to a guy at work one time.. I've forgotten more than you will ever know, He went to the owner of the dealership and cried to him .. I got called in the office and was told that I'm not a team player.WTF I just said am I making you alot of money? He said yes. So whats the problem? Im not here to coddle a cry baby that needs his mommy.. He just said point taken.. The kid ended up quiting a few weeks later and left because he was having a hard time bleeding brakes on his uncles truck.. I ended up having to finish the job. And got paid for the whole job. A win win for me. ..Bill
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
i never thought it was my job to tell people how little they know to lift myself up. if i have a good boss he doesnt need me to tell him who is good and who is no good. now to talk about good or bad bosses that is a whole different deal.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RacerHog

I'll bet I'm your age but have only been wrenching for about six months. I've had Mopars forever but all needed work or something came up to put restoration plans on hold (divorce, loss of house, loss of money) so I'm all ears when it comes to what folks with your experience have to say. The other day, I had to explain to a guy working at O'Reilly's what a pivot shaft was. I didn't know myself 6 months ago.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by moe7404
i never thought it was my job to tell people how little they know to lift myself up. if i have a good boss he doesnt need me to tell him who is good and who is no good. now to talk about good or bad bosses that is a whole different deal.
I was the boss... The kid was not getting the job done and taking forever.. the cutomer was asking me does he know what he is doing?? And was on my Sh-t so I went over to help him and he started giving me attitude and when I told him how to do it he just aurgued with me . So I just said listen to me I have forgotten more than you know. AND I have.. But he started crying like a little bit-h and left to see the owner.. I ended up having to finish it to get the customer back on the road. A service professional should be able to put a master cylinder in.. SO I wasnt trying to lift myself up.. I was trying to get the job done.. and that is what he should of been doing instead of aurguing with his boss. Bill
Old 10-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
I know first hand how that one feels ProTech......
That is a hard training ground..... Been there done that.. I'm an Ex-Dealer Tech myself. No body gave me nothing in job. Had to teach and learn it on my own on Flat rate, back in the day. My base pay was so small. I laughed at my first pay check. But after some time. even the old techs were getting pissed at what I was flaggen. I just told them that you have to stay at the shop longer....lol Get the good stuff.....
But the boss has to do, what a boss has to do....
I just went threw 30 guy/gals just to fined out none of them could hang or R&R a set of rear Brake Shoes (only on one axle mind you) and we gave them 20 min.
All their application looked good, Sure could talk a good game.
But when it come down to show me what you got!!!! My jaw was on the floor.
I had to go back and ask. (That job we flew, did say equipment mechanic) did'nt it?
Now I'm not saying, these folks are not trained... But we were looking for a general tech not a specific tech.

I know....I went from "DipStick" too "Dyno Bob"....lol

Just my 2 cents......
Old 10-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I haven't been turning wrenches near as long as some of you guys. but one thing that does drive me nuts is when you have a customer come in and try to tell you how to do your job. if they know how to do it why are they bringing it to me to fix?