New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New Guy Here

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy Here

Hello all. I have recently inherited my father's 66 Dodge Coronet. I know little about cars, other than being able to identify certain cars my father would talk about endlessly. Anyway, my goal for this car is to keep it in good condition, and take it for a drive once in a while. The car is in great shape, but it won't start. Some people have suggested that it might be the battery. It had been sitting in a garage all winter. My sister also said it might be the fuel pump. I started it back in September. Once the weather is better, I plan on trying again. (I'm in the northeast) Anyway, if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it. I plan on using this forum a lot for that, as I really know little about a car of this class and think other mopar lovers, as my dad was, would be the best place to inquire.

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Welcome. Very desirable car well worth any time spent to preserve it.

An Electrical Meter would be a good purchase, doesn't have to be expensive but with DC volts and resistance (ohms).

You'll probably be asked to check voltage of battery, voltage to ballast resistor and voltage at coil key on and while cranking.

The fuel thing is easy, air cleaner off, a few tablespoons down the carb and crank, if it fires briefly then you know it's, a fuel delivery problem and not voltage.

A photo would be lovely, I mean of the car.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
Welcome. Very desirable car well worth any time spent to preserve it.

An Electrical Meter would be a good purchase, doesn't have to be expensive but with DC volts and resistance (ohms).

You'll probably be asked to check voltage of battery, voltage to ballast resistor and voltage at coil key on and while cranking.

The fuel thing is easy, air cleaner off, a few tablespoons down the carb and crank, if it fires briefly then you know it's, a fuel delivery problem and not voltage.

A photo would be lovely, I mean of the car.
Any recommendations as far as the meter? And a few tablespoons of what? Bear with me. I have never done any work on any of my cars myself, but I think with this one, I want to learn and do as much as I can myself.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by RIPRR
Any recommendations as far as the meter? And a few tablespoons of what? Bear with me. I have never done any work on any of my cars myself, but I think with this one, I want to learn and do as much as I can myself.

Trying to post a pic from my phone. This site doesn't seem to be too user friendly. Maybe I just have to get used to it. Anyway, thanks for your reply.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:42 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Gasoline not beer.

Any cheap digital meter will be fine for what your doing and as a novice if you run current through the Ohms scale and it fails not a big deal.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Awesome Project....