New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New member in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member in Canada

Hello I am new to vintage car ownership and have some mechanical ability sadly not enough to deal with most issues I will probably encounter owning this car. It is a 1969 Barracuda with the small block. Not sure what exactly was done to the engine as the original owner died. It starts hard, kills the battery most times just getting it started. I have read some of the threads on here and have found some possible solutions. Wish my dad would have written a journal that documented what he did but it will remain a mystery! Hope someone out there can help! Thank you
Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 870 Likes on 849 Posts
Welcome.... Looks like a fine project.... Sorry for the loss of your father... Looks like he loved his Mopars? Sounds like you will have some fun investigating what is going on with the car and getting into what makes it work... Will help as much as we can.. Dont mind getting grease under your finger nails we hope Miss Mopar. Welcome again...
Old 04-18-2018, 04:56 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Welcome. I’m in Dorchester Ontario, if your not too far my son or I could help.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
Welcome. I’m in Dorchester Ontario, if your not too far my son or I could help.
Thank you for your offer of help. Sadly I live in Saskatchewan or I would take you up on your offer! 😊
Old 04-18-2018, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Welcome.... Looks like a fine project.... Sorry for the loss of your father... Looks like he loved his Mopars? Sounds like you will have some fun investigating what is going on with the car and getting into what makes it work... Will help as much as we can.. Dont mind getting grease under your finger nails we hope Miss Mopar. Welcome again...
Hello Racerhog, My father loved Mopars and John Deere garden tractors! Lol It will be fun but also a little terrifying as I feel I am in way over my head. I do enjoy getting grease under my nails as i am a tom boy! I do have the service manuals and a few notes of his to go by although I am at a great disadvantage as I know no one in the vintage car comunity here and have no idea who is trustworthy to work on it. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated😊
Old 04-18-2018, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
Welcome from south of the border in northern Iowa.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 870 Likes on 849 Posts
Well... Lets start with something easy to address the issue !!!!!! Lets see if we can make this girl/guy start a little easier for you !!!!
Will assume that the car has been sitting for a few weeks... ok.....
With a good charged battery.. And hoping it's got some fuel in the gas tank...
1. Lets crank the engine over about 10 times.. Just crank and count to 10.... This will help fuel make its way up to the carburetor.
2. Pump the gas pedal about 6 times all the way to the floor and back up again... Not fast just nice and easy...
3. Crank the engine for 2 seconds and then stop...
4. Pump the pedal about 4 times.....
Now let see if it starts a little easier..????

Hope this helps just a little..... Keep us posted....
Old 04-18-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Well... Lets start with something easy to address the issue !!!!!! Lets see if we can make this girl/guy start a little easier for you !!!!
Will assume that the car has been sitting for a few weeks... ok.....
With a good charged battery.. And hoping it's got some fuel in the gas tank...
1. Lets crank the engine over about 10 times.. Just crank and count to 10.... This will help fuel make its way up to the carburetor.
2. Pump the gas pedal about 6 times all the way to the floor and back up again... Not fast just nice and easy...
3. Crank the engine for 2 seconds and then stop...
4. Pump the pedal about 4 times.....
Now let see if it starts a little easier..????

Hope this helps just a little..... Keep us posted....
Will try your advice. Thank you! Just have to wait for it to quit snowing here. Had more snow yesterday!🙁 I have the car stored in a sea Can and can’t get to it until the snows gone! It also starts hard after it has been driven. Read a thread addressing the fact that the heat off the engine will boil the fuel out of the carbureter or the fuel line? Thinking this might be the issue as Barracuda’s did not come stock with a shroud and it does heat up pretty good does not overheat but gets up pretty high. What are your thoughts?
Old 04-18-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan
Welcome from south of the border in northern Iowa.
Hello to you in northern Iowa!